PDA

View Full Version : Thumb drive vs SDHC card.

FrankSG
11-01-2009, 08:10 AM
One of our local stores have 4GB Thumb drives and 4GB SDHC cards for $12.00 each. They are both made by HP. Is there any advantage of one over the other?

jlreich
11-01-2009, 10:09 AM
A thumbdrive is more portable in that you don't need a card reader to use it. Though I have two 4GB micro SDHC cards that came with a thumbdrive like card reader that effectually made them thumbdrives with the added bonus of being able to swap out the card.

As far as speed goes I have never done any benchmarks between the two nor have read about any. Even then it would depend on the particular model of each type.

FrankSG
11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
A thumbdrive is more portable in that you don't need a card reader to use it.
That's a good point that I didn't think of. My new computer has a card reader and my older one does not. I think I'll stick with the thumb drive.

Fruss Tray Ted
11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I have no preference in either type as I have readers that I needed for my handheld GPS.

But things I look for on both is whether or not they have a manual switch to make them read only. Considering I repair friend`s PCs now and then, I load them with diagnostic and repairs softwares then write protect them prior to exposing them to computers that have taken `ill`.

Sorta like surgical gloves for software... ;)