PDA

View Full Version : upgrading Vista to Windows 7 on partioned HD

cjackson
12-24-2009, 04:28 PM
We have eight PCs, used to teach classes. All have had their hard drives partitoned and Windows XP Professional and Vista Business installed on separate partitions.

We would like to upgrade our Vista partition to Windows 7. Can this be done without destroying the XP OS on one of the partitions?

Luffypsp
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
it shouldnt affect the XP partition. and if you really gonna upgrade(what i mean is not a fresh install) then it would only mess with the vista partition. If it is a fresh install. I'm not sure.

jlreich
12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
7 should detect XP and add it to the boot list automatically, just as no doubt vista did if you installed it after XP. Usually the only concern with this type of thing is choosing the correct partition to install on during setup.

Of course there is always a chance of something going wrong, however small they might be, so backups are always recommended.

cjackson
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Thank you Luffypsp and jlreich.

CFJ

Pyromaniac
12-30-2009, 05:10 PM
which version of Win7 did you plan to install? I believe you can upgrade to most/all versions with vista buisness without having to do a clean install so there shouldn't be a problem.

hackerballs
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
if you buy win7 pro or better than there is an XP mode that you can download and use and then you do not need to partition. just reinstall from beginning. Warning....there is a limitation on how much RAM can be accessed with the XP Mode. Some say just 256 but mine read 512 which i think is Max.

hackerballs
01-03-2010, 10:43 PM
that was the default settings but you can go into virtual pc and change your ram up to about 3 gigs for xp x86