PDA

View Full Version : RAM...where does it go?

Whyzman
02-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I just checked System Information to see how my RAM allotment was fairing. My machine is a bit older so I've only 768MB of RAM. I've been doing intermittent checking of the available RAM as I've experienced my computer slow a bit responding.

Currently I've 296MB of RAM available. However, just a few minutes ago there was 150MB and shortly before that I was down to 107MB. After I ran CCleaner it went up to 150...then when I checked back before posting this it was up to 296 available.

I've AOL opened and Opera. AOL I like to use for Google searches and Opera I use for the PC Guide. I've only the PC Guide tabbed right now and a Google page that appraised me that Chuck Norris is looking for me....

Currently, total virtual memory is 200 GB and I've 196 GB available.

I'm curious as to what default level RAM is at before it begins to use virtual memory?

What all would I want to look at trimming down to elevate my available RAM?

02-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Er, Windows 2000?

sassie05
02-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but, maybe the Performance Monitor setup to monitor Paging File might help.
Not sure how to go about setting that up.

Start > Run > perfmon.msc

sassie05
02-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Maybe Chuck has found you and robbing you of resources.

Whyzman
02-21-2010, 01:39 PM
WinXP

Sure, PrntRhd says have a look here if you're bored... I was curious, not bored. WHAM...some dude is now looking for me and I'm just looking to figure out why my computer is behaving the way it is. I don't want to have to keep looking over my shoulder!

Jiggy
02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
And if you put "Whyzman" into google and hit "im feeling lucky" it bring you to PC Guide, Chuck wont have to look to hard, not now ive just posted this, its been good knowing you Whyzman.

jlreich
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
You can relax Whyzman. If Chuck Norris was looking for you it would already be too late. ;)

Whyzman
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll stop looking over my should then... I wonder if Chuck could help me find where my RAM has been going??

And Jiggy, thanks for ratting me out!! May a light pole be in your near future... ;) :D

jlreich
02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Chuck says you should open task manager, processes tab, and click the memory section twice to see which processes are using your memory the most and see which ones are growing in memory use.

hackerballs
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
as we download new updates (adobe, jave, etc) they all use more RAM. All your RAM will not be used before it's goes to virtual RAM (paging file) When a program accesses the paging file RAM, it's like someone pouring Molasses in your PC. Only solution is to shut off hungry programs or buy more RAM. RAM is cheap these days and you could get a 2 gigs kit which will help lots