PDA

View Full Version : pc freezing during boot up

artful
10-27-2000, 08:18 AM
Hi, my pc started freezing intermittently when performing normal windows functions. Now it freezes at boot up. Sometimes at the splash screen and sometimes shortly after hitting the desktop - it doesn't even get me to the start button. It even occurs before getting to the bios ie right at startup I straight away get a blank screen. I've changed the CMOS battery to no avail and have disconnected HDD and CD ROM and still the problem persists. I have also tried to boot from a boot floppy but the system freezes when reading it (read starts with light on then nothing happens but light remains on). I have noticed that the system goes further into the boot process when i first start and the more attempts I have it freezes earlier and earlier. Does this sound like an overheating problem. I haven't done anything with the power supply as yet. Any ideas will be appreciated. i should add the computer is a 586 so its reasonably old.

Jerkymom
10-27-2000, 08:43 AM
Sounds like your power supply may be ready to die, especially the part about the sometimes blank screen at startup. Had the same symptoms on my PC, and although I could hear the fans power up, sometimes it wouldn't even go through post - just blank screen with case lights on. After repeated resets it would finally boot to Windows, but I also had frequent lockups there. Took the cover off the case and noticed the fans were running, but very slowly. My 250W power supply was about 5 years old, and since I replaced it I've had no further problems.

Hope this helps! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif
Kim

Additional thought: Check the fan on your CPU to be sure it's working. It might need the dust blown out to improve air flow. I don't think heat was a big issue with the 586s, but if I remember correctly, they did need a fan attached. If the fan is clean and spinning properly, you can try running with the case off for a couple of days to see if that helps.

[This message has been edited by Jerkymom (edited 10-27-2000).]

Paleo Pete
10-27-2000, 10:37 AM
I agree, sounds like the power supply has problems. A 586 is fairly old, so the power supply has been at it a long time, so I'd say try another one.

Also clean the dust out of the case, Kim seems to be right on track here...I use a small camera brush to clean mine out, but be sure you don't knock any jumpers off!

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)