PDA

View Full Version : Dead mouse

wfreedman00
10-23-2000, 01:24 AM
http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/mad.gif Am helping a friend who has an older computer running Windows 3.1. The mouse wouldn't work. I check the cable, it was in okay. I restarted the computer. Eventually the mouse appeared but wouldn't move. I removed and cleaned the ball. I suspect the mouse needs replacing. My problem is that assuming I purchase a mouse for her, how does one go about installing it when you can't move around. I know something about DOS but most applications have to be installed through windows. Could I save her driver info (she doesn't have the original software...kids gave her machine) onto a disk in case I need it later, then delete it, load new driver software onto 'a' and, using Notepad (from 'a') try and redo the autoexec.bat so it recognizes the new mouse software or won't this work?? Help.

Jerkymom
10-23-2000, 01:40 AM
When you purchase a new mouse, it should come with an installation floppy disk. Boot the computer to DOS, put the disk in the floppy drive and type a:[Enter] at the c:\> prompt. Type dir[Enter] at the a:\> prompt to see the contents of the disk. The file you need will probably be named "install.exe" (sometimes "setup.exe", but that's usually for Windows installs). Type the filename at the a:\> prompt to install the mouse drivers. The installation procedure should automatically edit the autoexec.bat file to include the new drivers. Restart the computer after the install is complete and the new mouse should work properly when you go to Windows.

Let us know how it goes, and Good Luck! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif
Kim

Paleo Pete
10-24-2000, 12:48 AM
You might also see if you can find a friend who has the same mouse and test it on the system to see if it is actually a dead mouse, or plug the existing one into another system. Many times a mouse will work on a different driver, and many will work with Logitech drivers. As long as you make sure you don't try to use a PS/2 mouse on a serial mouse driver, or the other way around...

Kim's instructions for installing the drivers look good, with Win3.11 most drivers have to be installed in DOS, so you don't have to worry about not being able to use the mouse in Windows while you try to install it.

Make sure the driver you use is Win3.x compatible, Win 95/98 drivers probably won't work.

If the computer automatically boots into Windows, boot to a DOS boot disk, and install the drivers.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

wfreedman00
10-24-2000, 01:25 AM
Actually I had taken a logitech mouse to try. Her system said it was a serial mouse she has. Mine is an old logitech for IBM PC, XT, AT PS/2 and compatibles and is from an older computer of mine which is serial. Didn't get to try it because when I looked at the 'A' drive it was cracked and I couldn't put the driver software into it, so now I'm off to see whether I can find another 'A' drive for an older machine or just encourage her to update. It's hardly worth putting good money after bad. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate advice because if I do get it fixed I'll make sure that the computer people a different Win 3.1 mouse as you suggest. What a great site this is.

Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
You might also see if you can find a friend who has the same mouse and test it on the system to see if it is actually a dead mouse, or plug the existing one into another system. Many times a mouse will work on a different driver, and many will work with Logitech drivers. As long as you make sure you don't try to use a PS/2 mouse on a serial mouse driver, or the other way around...

Kim's instructions for installing the drivers look good, with Win3.11 most drivers have to be installed in DOS, so you don't have to worry about not being able to use the mouse in Windows while you try to install it.

Make sure the driver you use is Win3.x compatible, Win 95/98 drivers probably won't work.

If the computer automatically boots into Windows, boot to a DOS boot disk, and install the drivers.

Paleo Pete
10-24-2000, 10:36 PM
Try the Logitech anyway, it might just work even though it's using a different driver. If it doesn't work perfectly that's ok, you just need to see if it shows up and moves...Might work though, I've run 2 or 3 different brands of mice with my Fellowes driver, and at least a half dozen brands on Logitech's drivers. Used the Mitsumi I'm using now on Logitech and Fellowes drivers. Don't think I've ever even tried to find the proper driver for it, I'm still using the generic Windows driver with it.

By the way, for future reference, this Mitsumi has been a great one. I've thoroughly abused it for 3 years, and it still works perfect, have to clean it about once a year. The Fellowes starts to grab abd stick about 3 weeks after cleaning, and didn't last 6 months before that started. Only thing I've seen that comes close to the Mitsumi is Logitech. And it's less than half the price of Logitech.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

wfreedman00
10-27-2000, 11:14 PM
All is well, bought a new mouse and everything is fine. Thanks for the help. Great to have somewhere to turn to.