PDA

View Full Version : System does not completely shutdown

cambull
10-24-2000, 11:23 PM
I have a PC running Win98 that which does not shutdown completely after a network card was installed and peer to peer communications set up. The "please wait while windows shuts down" screen is displayed, but the system does not power down or display the "it is now safe to switch of your computer" message. This only happens when the other PC is switched off.

I assume it is waiting for an acknowledgement of its sign-off on the network or something similar. How can I fix the problem? Where should I look?

Thanks

Paleo Pete
10-25-2000, 10:13 AM
Only thing I can think of is try logging off the network before shutting down the other computer, don't know a lot about networking, but never had any trouble of this sort when running mine separate from the network when I had it connected to one.

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about networking will have some better ideas.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

ReddDogg
10-25-2000, 10:45 PM
While the network card might be the last thing you installed to the computer, that shouldn't cause that to happen. What does cause windows to cease shutting down properly??? That would be taht stupid glitch, and microsoft has even issued a fix it, go to windows updates. The best way is to go to start, click windows updates, and let it go from there. Stupid windows... by the way, windows ME doesn't seem to have that problem... but no one cares I am sure, we have been down that discussion path already.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

cambull
10-30-2000, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the tip Joe. I downloaded the Win98 patches from the Microsoft site and the machine shuts down completely now.

Thanks for your help guys.