PDA

View Full Version : Computer doesn't find hard drive

jacque81052w
10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Computer doesn't find hard drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an HP computer that is about 7 years old. It had Windows ME on it until about 1.5 years ago had problems with it so a friend enstalled Windows XP downloaded from Computer. It has worked wonderfully since then... until a couple months ago. it was shut down one night and when turned back on we got the following message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you arenít sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (Your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally
------------------------------------
So when we try each of these this is what happens on each command:
====
Start Windows Normally
Starts to load - you see the Windows XP emblem
Then the HP Invent emblem
Then goes back to the first page

Safe Mode
Starts loading all the configuration computer talk -directories and such
Then you see the HP Invent emblem
Back to the first page

Last known Good Configuration
Starts loading - you see the Windows XP emblem
HP invent -emblem
Back to the first page

Safe Mode Command Prompt
Starts loading all the configuration computer talk -directories and such
HP Invent emblem
Back to first page

F8 - Sorry drive C cannot be accessed

-------
I have tried running the recovery disk from format on the windows Me disks... I have tried Norton System Works 2005... what should I do... thought I could try some things myself so we don't have to take it to a repairman. We did buy a new computer with Windows XP on it since all this happened.

Please help me. Thanks!

Paul Komski
10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
You could try a repair installation.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm