PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to the computer?" PITA

Fred Forsythe
03-28-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm new to Win 7 & UAC. My current setting is "Default". I understand the idea behind not allowing programs to make changes which should require admin privileges, but there should be a way to TELL the bloody thing "this program is OK", as you can with firewalls. etc. For example, I have a free utility called "Everything search", which I like because it will search all my 6 hdd's at once in real time, as I type. It runs on startup, so it can index the files & be ready when needed. EVERY time I start my PC, UAC asks "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" There should be a way of telling it "Once and for all, YES!!!". In fact, there should be a button RIGHT THERE on the popup that says "remember my reply FOREVER!", or words to that effect. Is there a way to get UAC to NOT hit on any given program? The only other option I see is turning UAC off entirely.

It really boggles the mind how, with all the time they put into software, such a glaringly obvious oversight can occur.

TIA

Fred

PrntRhd
03-28-2011, 02:13 AM
UAC is somewhat annoying in Win7 but is improved over Windows Vista's implementation.

Fred Forsythe
03-28-2011, 02:47 AM
UAC is somewhat annoying in Win7 but is improved over Windows Vista's implementation.

I ran the BETA of Vista right after it came out, I do recall its UAC being worse & shutting it off. If there's no way around this boot thing, I'll have to kill it on Win7, too.

CraigEvander
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Well at list now there is the option to turn this off. Remember that on a beta version of vista there was no way to do this.!!!

jlreich
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
First thing I do is shut it off. You know Linux has done a similar thing for a long time and it doesn't really bother me, but for some reason when windows does it it just annoys the crap out of me. :rolleyes:

hackerballs
04-03-2011, 11:09 PM
it's like 2clicks on the mouse..............bothersome but can be changed............turn it off......problem is solved

Paul Komski
04-04-2011, 03:37 AM
First thing I do is shut it off. You know Linux has done a similar thing for a long time and it doesn't really bother me, but for some reason when windows does it it just annoys the crap out of me. :rolleyes:

There is usually one fundamental difference in that the user does not normally have super-user privileges under Linux and one only needs to invoke this when prompted or by choice. In Windows the default account automatically has Admin privileges but if one creates a non-Admin account and later need Admin authority one has to log off and log on again.

Just entering a password can be made easier if one uses a short though not very secure password, which is what I do on my own home installations.

jlreich
04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
True. Another difference is it only asks for admin privileges when it is really necessary. Because linux is setup differently a regular user can do most things without root access because most things will only change files that pertain to that user and not system files.

And yes I know with 7 UAC was improved with different levels of protection. But it still annoys me to no end. :p

You know I used to be huge on security, but over the last several years it has gotten to the point that if you were to do everything that is recommended you end up with a system that is so bogged down that it becomes almost useless. I run an AV and FW and Spywarebalster, that's it. And I turn off certain services of both the AV and FW. All of the AV/FW's I have used over the last few years have become so intrusive and system killing that that if left to their default values you might as well just unhook from the internet and disable all your means of portable media. :p

I have a dedicated firewall machine that protects my entire LAN. The only reason I use a software firewall on each machine is to control what is going out.

I am always getting false positives from the AV. Just yesterday it flagged a NIC driver on my wifes system that has been sitting there in a folder since the last time I installed windows on her machine. Last week was the first time in I don't know how long it has actually gotten anything right when it flagged an iffy toolbar on both my wifes and daughters system (likely from facebook). For those that don't know better I am sure it deletes many benign and useful files.

Sorry, end of rant... :rolleyes:

04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
UAC is a giant PITA. I always turn it off.

Paul Komski
04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't turn off UAC - I have had no need to do so because Vista so completely turned me off Windows that I have yet to see any need to purchase a Vista or Win7 OS or System Build. Yes I have to trick around with them on other peoples boxes and just as with many others they both annoy the hell out of me.

The only MS products that I currently need are VB6 and and VBA within MS Access both of which I have written quite a lot of software with. I am working on a new front end for my databases using Web-Based PHP/MySQL (and thus cross platform) and if that works out I will be one step further away from needing MS at all as well as being one step further towards being to operate and distribute databases "in the cloud" from my own server.