PDA

View Full Version : Removing HDD partitions in Win7

Fred Forsythe
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I have 2 older 320 gig HDD's which I ran under XP in my last PC. Under that system, I partitioned each into thirds. In "those days", 100 gig seemed SOOOOOO large! Now I have the disks installed in my Win7 new build, and I would like to remove the partitioning, so each is just one ~320 gig volume. I've removed all the files from "L" and M", and have reformatted them, would like to just end up with volume "K". Been looking at Win7's "Computer Management", which under Storage/Disk management seems to have tools for this, but I'm not sure which to use, "shrink volume" or "delete volume". Thought I'd ask before I just "try one" :D

Paul Komski
04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I would delete L and M and then resize K to fill the drive

Fred Forsythe
04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Paul, I was able to remove the partitions, but I think I may have gone a bit too far, because now, although the drive appears in WE in Win7, when I try to access it (and the files it contains), I get the error "Drive I does not contain a recognized file system, would you like to format it?" I don't want to format & lose the files. Is there any way to access the data at this point?

Fred

Paul Komski
04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
It's unclear where drive I came from. What did you do (if anything) to drive K and were all partitioning tasks done by Win7. Or is it drive 1 rather than drive I ?

Don't format of course and as long as you don't do that or overwrite anything then, at the worst, you should be able to retrieve data with GetDataBack or similar. If there are no partitions showing on the drive then there may well be a way to undelete them using BiNG or TestDisk.