PDA

View Full Version : Can't format hard drive

glassguy
04-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I am attempting to reinstall XP using the full format option. The program gets to 9% on the progress bar and then stops. I have tried several times. I can install using the quick format option but I want to start with a clean slate. I have used this particular OS disc several times in the past successfully. The computer is a 6-7 year old Toshiba laptop. Would a hardware problem (motherboard) cause this problem. Thanks G

wombil
04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Hello Glassguy,
I have had this happen using a disk that I have used many times before.Think it just got worn out or fuddied up.Try a different disk if you can get one.
I copied my original and used the copy for installations and when that disk played up just made another copy off the original.Saves using the original all the time.
I am open to correction on this but it works for me.

glassguy
04-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I've already tried a different disc. Format gets to 9% then holds for hours. Thanks for the reply

glassguy
04-10-2011, 10:47 AM
since my last post, I downloaded a copy of Copywipe and ran it. It just as advertised and obliterated my OS. I tried a full format with XP and it made it to 7% this time before it freezes. A quick format is allowed and I am currently reinstalling the OS. This is an old laptop and I have a feeling that it is a hardware problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Komski
04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
The difference between a quick and a full format is only that Windows runs a full chkdsk on the drive with a full format; the formatting part is the same regardless and I never bother with a full format. Later on one can run chkdsk to check the file system etc if one wants to.

The fact that the full format is freezing could be because the chkdsk part of the procedure has encountered bad sectors on the drive.

I suggest running the manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive at the first opportunity or if you get Windows installed run the full scan with HDTune (http://www.hdtune.com/).

glassguy
04-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Could this freezing indicate a bad hard drive, which is fairly easily to replace, or might it be something more serious like the motherboard failing?

Paul Komski
04-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Could this freezing indicate a bad hard drive, which is fairly easily to replace, or might it be something more serious like the motherboard failing?
Yes it could be either or even something else.

boucbaz
05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I know kind of late but did you partition the drive first? Sometime a bad sector assignment fools formatting and it should be plausible since it always does it in the same area.

Paul Komski
05-04-2011, 03:24 AM
I think that having wiped the drive (which allows some remapping of any bad sectors) and then letting windows setup partition and attempt to format but fail to complete implies a dodgy drive and the way to ascertain that is to run the diagnostic utility downloaded from the HDD maker's website or else to swap in a known good drive.

Going back to the OP it appeared that you could install using a quick format and that also implies that there are areas of the hard drive with bad sectors on it but which are not involved in the original data area used by the installation but which cause the freeze when the disk checking of a full format reaches them.