Yes, I know it's getting old.

How often should I run Checkdisk?

Thanks!

CS:sourcer
04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
I'd say every 30 to 35 years

Paul Komski
04-12-2011, 02:19 AM
When you have or suspect a problem; when prompted to; before defragmenting and before any repartitioning/resizing of a specific partition.

It is best run from a command prompt with the /F or /R switch to check and repair the file system if possible or to also check the full surface area for defects. Running chkdsk /? will show you all the options.

The results can be viewed by entering eventvwr.msc into the run box and looking for the latest Winlogon properties.

trapper
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
CS sourcer:
I guess I have lots of time to prepare for that big day --- I'll be 105 in 30 years.

Paul:
Thanks for your more sensible reply!!

LochLomonder
04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
trapper,

There's a free program called Acronis Drive Monitor (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/drive-monitor/), which will run in the background and do health checks on your hard disk; warning you of any events which may arise.

I wouldn't suggest using this instead of chkdsk; rather, as a compliment to one another. Given the mechanical nature of hard disks, they can and do wear out over time. If you get forewarning of its declining status, leastways it will give you time to take action before you lose everything.

A good backup strategy is of paramount importance, especially if you don't want to lose personal data, so I would suggest implementing one now if you haven't already.