PDA

View Full Version : Computer locks up.

Alam
11-02-2000, 06:16 PM
I have to use the Internet a lot. Sometimes I would go onto the Internet and my computer crashes, this results in the computer to totally lock up. When this occurs I am unable to do anything else. I have to close the system down and then because I am still connected to the Internet I get a message something like “CD-ROM” failure during the scanning at boot-time. So the only way I can use my computer I have to physically shut down all the power and basically boot-up again.

I have repeatedly tried ctrl-alt-delete to see if I can physically close down the application and start again (I know this is not good for the computer.)

Could some one tell me what I should do when the computer locks up?
Or when I try to restart it, what I need to do when it says something like CD-ROM failure?

Paleo Pete
11-03-2000, 08:08 AM
Can't tell you much about the CD ROM failure, that could be something like an old drive going bad or dirty laser lens, not sure.

What browser are you using? If it's Internet Explorer, I've had similar problems with IE 4, and after installing IE 5 it cleared it up. You might try running the Internet Explorer Repair tool and check the MS site for service packs.

If [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] opens the End Task box, you can click the Shut down button if you need to reboot, and shut down without harming the computer.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Matt
11-03-2000, 12:38 PM
One possibility about the CD-rom problem might be that your Bios is set to boot in the order of CD-rom, some device....., and finally from you hard drive. When it says failure durring boot-up it may only mean that no bootable cd was found in the drive. To make sure this is the case you can go into your bios and check to boot sequence. (Ex. CDROM,A,C; C only, A, SCSI, C and so on) AS for the internet lock-up problems I'd go with the advice Paleo Pete gave. When I had a similar problem I ended up re-installing Windows out of utter frustration.