PDA

View Full Version : Lost photgraphs

karl71
04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi, I am new here so please be easy as i am not a computer expert.

I was on my pc last week and got a message saying"your memory is critical" or something like that. I then removed one memory card, this was a new one i got a few weeks back. Now i have lost all my photos that were saved in "my pictures" Will i be able to get these back?:(

FTT
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi Karl,
welcome to the PCGuide!

First thing you need to do is to STOP writing anything to your hard drive such as downloads or Word documents etc. Surfing the web is OK but don't copy or paste anything! This is to help prevent overwriting your lost files.

Could you start with telling us the specs of your system? Maker and model or motherboard hard drive capacity etc, please?

There is a software called Get Data Back (http://www.runtime.org/) that you can use to search for files which have been lost due to some 'event' The free version allows one file at a time and the pay-for version allows batches and folders. You'll have to decide which is for you as we don't know how many pictures you are trying to recover.

There is also an undelete software or '3' that you could try if this is what you may have accidentally done. Please ask if you need a link to one or another.

With Get Data Back, you need the correct one for the file system you use. Either Fat32 or NTFS. I have had to recover quite a number of files in the past, videos and still shots, and I eventually managed a little system where I had the recovery file open, a destination file open and another one or two which I don't recall at the moment, since it has been quite some time since I've last needed it.

Post here if you need any help with it as there are several of us here familiar with it to help guise you. Good luck.

karl71
04-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I am not much of a computer buff but mine is a AMD Athlon XP+,radeon 9200 512 RAM. I added another 512 ram but my computer kept making a beeping noise so i removed it.. I'll try get data back. Is there any other links for any other ones just in case these dont work. Would I need to purchase a licence key to buy the lost photos? Do you know what would have caused this? Thanks

LochLomonder
04-14-2011, 05:47 PM
karl,

If you look at the first post I made on this thread (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78073), do you see something similar happening when you look at the username for your account when you open up Windows Explorer? If so, we could work on a similar methodology to get all your pictures back.

If this isn't the case I would certainly recommend going with FTT's suggestion, since it's a decent piece of software to help you in such a situation.