PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from vista

ildrungo
04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
I plan on moving all my data and programs to my new 1tb hard drive from a 50gb hard drive. then installing windows 7 onto a separate 30gb solid state drive. Then remove the 50gb drive that has the original windows vista on it.

my question is. after installing windows 7 on the ssd, will the installation remove anything from the tb drive, or is that just in cases where i would install windows 7 on the same drive that my data would be on?

any other helpful comments are welcome

LochLomonder
04-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, ildrungo.

I would suggest removing the 50GB drive after you've transferred the data and programs to the 1TB drive, and before you start installing Win 7 on the 30GB SSD.

The Win 7 installation won't remove anything from the 1TB drive, so you'll be fine there. To answer this question...

...or is that just in cases where i would install windows 7 on the same drive that my data would be on?

You can actually install Win 7 over a current installation without losing the data, since it's all stored under a folder called Windows.Old. However, obviously you'd still need to reinstall any programs from the previous installation.

That aside, doing what you outlined in your original post with the install to the 30GB SSD will work fine.