PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling windows

kccboy2004
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I have Windows Ultimate. I am thinking about reinstalling. I have no problems with that. What I have a problem with, is redownloading all the windows updates and reapplying them. Is there a way to copy them sideways and reinstall them, without having to re-download ?

Thanks

LochLomonder
04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Rather than fiddling with the individual updates, I would recommend downloading the network installation package of Service Pack 1, which you can find here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda). For the 64-bit version you would choose the second-to-last download (903.2MB in size), and the 32-bit version is the last download (537.8MB in size)

This includes all the fixes up until its release date, which was March 15, 2011. Even though it specifies the following on on this page, there's a specific method I'm thinking of and I'll explain...

Do not click download if you are updating just one computer: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update.

The advantage of doing so is having one file you can run after the Win 7 installation, and then it'll mean far less updates you'll have to download to bring it up to date. This would save you time having to fiddle around with the downloads on your PC already and determine what's what. If you want an example of what's in there, copy the following text, click on the Windows orb and paste it in to the Search program and files box, and then hit the Enter key...

%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Also, for future reference, there's an elegant way of updating the OS so you don't have to re-download everything again and that's called slipstreaming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_%28computing%29). While it's not supported officially by Microsoft, it's still possible to do it. In fact, I slipstreamed SP1 into the Win 7 ISO I downloaded when I purchased the OS. That way, if you ever need to reinstall, you can run that instead and, if you're feeling ambitious, you can slipstream subsequent updates into the build to keep it as up to date as possible.

However, I do realise this may be overly ambitious for what you're trying to achieve, but I would still recommend the SP1 download and apply that after the reinstall to save you some headaches.