PDA

View Full Version : I can not boot it in Safe mode with Command prompt

chulheekim
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I have a pretty old Dell desktop; Vostro 200 with Windows XP. I can't boot the computer any more and keep getting the blue screen with 0X0000007B error after my antivirus program removed a virus. The dell tech support suggested booting in Safe mode with command prompt and executing C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. That will restore it back to the way it was when I purchased the computer. The problem is that the computer crashes even in Safe mode with Command prompt.
Is there any way to boot the computer and execute the rstrui.exe? I don't have reinstallation cd or bootable cd.

LochLomonder
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the forum, chulheekim.

Quick question about what you wrote here...

The problem is that the computer crashes even in Safe mode with Command prompt.

When does it actually crash? As soon as Safe Mode boots up, or when you try to initialise the restore program (rstrui.exe)?

chulheekim
04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
It crashes a couple of seconds later after Safe Mode boots up. Sorry.

LochLomonder
04-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Unless Dell have added something to the restore process, the file in question merely runs a system restore so you can choose a restore point from Windows. That wouldn't necessarily mean a factory restore, though.

Of course, depending on whether or not the anti-virus application removed all the infections properly from the entire machine, it's possible to reinfect a machine from a restore point.

Since you don't have any OS CDs available, would you be confident in removing the hard disk from the malfunctioning PC and hooking it up to another PC? It may be possible to sort this issue by booting from a working PC and accessing the malfunctioning disk that way.

chulheekim
04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
That's a great idea. But I don't have second pc. I may sound silly. But how about MS DOS CD that will boot my computer to command prompt? I heard MS dos can get you to run basic commands. I dont' know whether MS Dos CD is real thing and where to get it though. I will appreciate your help.

LochLomonder
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Believe it or not, you cannot use MS-DOS legally unless you pay for it, since it is still a commercial OS.

However, if you want to try something of that nature, you can check out FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/).

FTT
04-27-2011, 09:23 PM
A google search for 0X0000007B (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1145&bih=593&q=0X0000007B&btnG=Google+Search) errors shows a few things which may have gone wrong and none of which are an easy fix if you do not have a copy of XP at your disposal.

Boot sector virus, hardware and/or drivers issues can all report 0X0000007B as well as others. The errors usually have a longer string of information. Could you get the rest of it the next time it happens? It may help narrowing down the recommended fix.

But if you have the key code on your computer, it is possible to borrow someone's copy of XP to repair or even reinstall XP to your computer by reusing your key code numbers. If you have Home, you will need a copy of Home, Pro for Pro also. It does not matter if the disks are the original, SP1 or SP2, any of them will work.

Please post the complete error and also if you will be able to borrow or acquire a burned copy of XP. This is not illegal because you will be using your own authorization codes. If it ends up we do a complete reinstall, you will also need to reactivate but I have done this many times with no qualms from Microsoft at all.

Preferably we would do a repair install, but if we need to do a full re-installation, you may want to save your prized documents and files using something like a live Linux disk such as Puppy, Knoppix or Ubuntu and placing them on a thumb drive or external hard drive for safe keeping. Perhaps even burning CD's or DVD's.

Honestly, not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here, but I don't think any Command Prompt will help you at this point. What it usually does is brings you to the realization that what is needed further is just what I am trying to describe. So to me, it's more of a waste of time and we should just get the ball rolling on the actual fix.

Paul Komski
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
You are getting blue screens in whatever mode you are attempting to boot up even if you cannot see them. At best you might be able to run chkdsk from a command prompt using the recovery console but only if you have access to any WinXP installation CD.

Nearly all versions of WinXP on Dell computers have a factory restore option that can be invoked by pressing CTRL + F11 at the very beginning of start up and while the www.dell.com (or similar) is showing in bold white at the top of the normal intitial blue boot screen (which is not a BSOD). This assumes you have a restore partition and there has been no damage nor change to the original MBR.

If you can and do run a factory restore you will, obviously, lose any data on the hard drive.