PDA

View Full Version : ??

vicki lynne
04-26-2011, 05:02 PM
In Windows XP on the start menu there is a run option so I can run things like msconfig. I'm not seeing this in vista. Is there a way to do this?

LochLomonder
04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
It's broadly similar in Vista. If you know of the command, or at least know a few letters, you can click on the Windows orb at the bottom-left and type it in where it says Search program and files.

As an example, if you go there and type in msconfig, it'll show the program in your search results and you can just hit the Enter key to start it.

vicki lynne
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Ok thanks. I'll try that.

jlreich
04-27-2011, 12:31 AM
You can put "run" in the start menu by r-clicking the taskbar, properties, start menu tab, click customize, scroll through the list and check the run box (towards the bottom) and anything else you might like in the start menu. Now it will appear on the right side of the start menu like in XP. :)

FrankSG
04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
You can put "run" in the start menu by r-clicking the taskbar, properties, start menu tab, click customize, scroll through the list and check the run box (towards the bottom) and anything else you might like in the start menu. Now it will appear on the right side of the start menu like in XP. :)
That's the way I have always done it. I have always wondered why MS didn't put it there by default.

LochLomonder
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Frank,

I have always wondered why MS didn't put it there by default.

I'm assuming it was because people could use the method I outlined above as part of the new Vista / Win 7 setup, and the option outlined by jlreich was more of a sop towards XP users and their comfort levels.

Either way works fine, and that's what matters most :)

Abdussamad
04-27-2011, 12:24 PM
You can also try pressing windows key+r.