PDA

View Full Version : dell studio 17 windows7 failed to start

ecksit
04-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Yesterday i was at work using my laptop put it in hibernate and closed it then drove back to the hotel. About 30 mins later when i got back i opened it up and windows was stuck on "windows failed to start" screen. Im given 2 options

Let windows repair automatically (recommended)
Start windows normally

When i start windows normally it just goes in this infinite loop of going back to this same screen.

When i try to repair windows automatically it tells me i cant. (Ill give u the exact error codes when im done running this memory diagnostics tool)

I cant restore from this menu since i never created a restore point. Careless on my part i know.
I cannot reinstall windows and wipe everything because there are far too many important documents on this hd.

I could however do a clean wipe with factory image if there was a way to get the files off of my hd and onto my external.

Also i don't actually have all my dell discs with drivers and windows cd, they are about 1500 miles away sitting on my desk at home, so any hope of just doing a windows repai is gone. I cant wait to get them shipped i need my laptop for a presentation tomorrow and im losing tons of time right now because of this problem.

Btw im not sure if this might have caused it but when i pit it in hibernate and closed the screen my phone was still connected and usb mouse then unplugged them afterwards.

Is there something i can do here to save my data? Im aware this could have been prevented if i was more careful about backing up but this is extremely important.

Sorry if my post is unclear and full of spelling and grammar errors but my phone is currently my only device that can get on the internet.

Ill post the exact errors in a few mins. Please help! This is not just one of those pain in the ass frustrating kind of problems this is my freaking ass on the line.

Btw anyone who can actually it to work for me ill send u a nice gift via paypal. :)

ecksit
04-29-2011, 03:34 AM
So when i first boot, dell image loads quickly and looks like its starting like normal. Windows logo pops up and the swirling colors start to move then freezes for a second, flashes a blue screen ( too fast i cant see what the blue screen says) and then goes to windows startup repair options.

Here's some more technical info:

When i select repair windows automatically (recommended) i get

Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem details:

Problem event name: startuprepairoffline
Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
02: 6.1.7600.16385
03: unknown
04: 21200754
05: autofailover
06: 10
07: baddriver
Os version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale id: 1033

I go to advanced options and get:

Startup repair (doesnt work)
system restore ( i have no restore points so useless)
System image recovery (also have no images)
Windows memory diagnostic tool ( returned no errors)
Command prompt (i wouldn't know what to do here)
dell factory image restore (cannot do this because i absolutely need to save my data)

If i select start windows normally it just goes through a never ending loop and righr back to startup repair.

I hit f8 on startup to get to advanced boot options:

Repair your computer (doesnt work)
Safe mode (puts me in same boot loop as normal)
safe mode with net ( same)
Safe mode with command prompt ( same)

Enable boot logging ( don't know what it is but tried it, nothing)
Enable low-res video (nothing)
directory services restore mode ( don't know what this is haven't tried it)
Debugging mode (haven't tried it)
Disable automatic restart on system failure ( doesnt keep boot looping when i do this but just hangs on black screen instead)
Disable driver signature enforcement ( nothing)

Start windows normally ( obviously doesn't work)

So i seem to have exhausted all the options i know of here.

I really wish this stuff just wouldn't happen.

ecksit
04-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Also if it helps my bios is phoenix securecore setup utility in case there's something i could change in here

ecksit
04-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Just found this interesting....

Inside my commapnd prompt i noticed that windows is installed on drive D:

And somehow the dell recovery image is now drive C:

Looks as is if they magically switched drive letters. I can now copy some of my documents on an external through command prompt, but hidden files and folders don't show up.

Also there's a bigger problem.. if the drives switched letters how the hell am i going to run windows from the recovery image?

Sorry if im not making sense anymore... I've been up for almost 14 hours working on this. Got to go back to work in a few hours and i might just be totally screwed

ecksit
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Eh forget it im losing too much time im gonna have to just wipe everything

ecksit
04-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Nvm cant even do that...

Im so screwed someone please help me

mjc
04-30-2011, 01:28 AM
I take it you have access to a working machine?

Download a Linux Live CD (Knoppix would be a good one), burn it to a disk and then boot the laptop to it. That should allow you to transfer your files.

ecksit
04-30-2011, 04:41 AM
I take it you have access to a working machine?

Download a Linux Live CD (Knoppix would be a good one), burn it to a disk and then boot the laptop to it. That should allow you to transfer your files.

Actually, no. The only working device that's connected to the internet right now is my android smartphone.

As I stated a bit earlier I found a way to copy my files already, so that's good.

Now, when I did a factory restore, it formats the drive and places the os image back on the os partition just fine. The problem is my computer will still not boo, same errors as before, and its showing the recovery partiotion as c: and os partition as d: which im pretty sure should be the other way around.

Im glad I saved my files, that was a huge relief for me. However I still have an unusable machine and there's much work to be done.

My paypal offer still stands, $50 to whoever can help me get it running.

mjc
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure much more can be done without access to the install disks...which you said were sitting on your desk at home, right?

About the only other thing I can think of right now, is to check and make sure that your BIOS settings (time/date and hard drive detection) are correct.

Do you have automatic updates turned on? The one line in the log (07: baddriver) seems to indicate a driver update went wrong.

ecksit
04-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure much more can be done without access to the install disks...which you said were sitting on your desk at home, right?

About the only other thing I can think of right now, is to check and make sure that your BIOS settings (time/date and hard drive detection) are correct.

Do you have automatic updates turned on? The one line in the log (07: baddriver) seems to indicate a driver update went wrong.

Yeah auto updates are on. I checked bios settings and they seem correct as far as i can tell.

I got someone to overnight the discs to me, should be here on monday. I hope to get it working after that. Just really sucks that i lost an entire weekend. What can you do tho.. 'stuff' happens.

Ill be much more careful about backing up this time, that was my own fault. Still, im not too impressed with windows lately ( and i know you windows guys are gonna cringe to hear me say this) so considering a macbook pro soon.