PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Issue

akilo55
05-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Have a Dell GX260 (BIOS A09) and GX280 (BIOS A07), using XP pro, SP2 on both. Loading XP somehow kills the CPI driver on both units (therefore no internet access from either computer -- this is from a library computer). Using a home version of XP (also from a CD) gives the same result. One driver (of 5 drivers) on the GX280 does not load (missing/corrupt). Also the GX260 states "network cable disconnected". Same results for these units when upgrading to SP3.

The (faulty?) settings seem to be transported to XP reboot(s). I thought that there was a way to get default loadings from the eprom (BIOS) and thus have a clean system. I can not figure out how to do this.

Thanks for any comments, akilo55, Frank

Paul Komski
05-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Do you mean PCI driver for an internal network card since as far as I can tell both the GX desktops are in the Dell Optiplex range and not in the Dell CPi Latitude range.

This should not be a BIOS issue but rather a straightforward drivers issue. You would need to go to the Dell site (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?s=dhs&cs=19) and download the relevant driver onto say a USB stick, extract the drivers somewhere handy and then upgrade the problem driver from Device Manager. Even if you use the original Dell Windows installation CD you might still need an accessory CD (utilities and drivers) that might have shipped with the system.

boucbaz
05-03-2011, 05:57 PM
What I usually do is install a temporary DLink PCI card , that windows XP recognise usually to get to internet and download the drivers from Dell and then just remove it. Very practical on any installation.

Paul Komski
05-04-2011, 02:42 AM
What I usually do is install a temporary DLink PCI card , that windows XP recognise usually to get to internet and download the drivers from Dell.
Good idea and I do something similar. I have a TPLink USB WiFi Dongle and a mini driver CD which is simple to install. I then connect by WiFi router in similar fashion.