PDA

View Full Version : PC will not boot up nor beep

hess303
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Compaq Presario SR2010NX Desktop PC, Windows XP Home Edition. Shut down the computer and now it won't boot up, neither does it sound off with any beeps. When the problem first appeared, the PC would come on and display the Compaq screen with the available options for a second, then would go nowhere from there. I unplugged each of the HD connectors, one at a time, for a sec, then reconnected them. What that did is allowed the Compaq screen with the available options to stay on. So now the Compaq screen comes up displaying the available options - F1 - Setup, ESC - Boot Menu and F10 - System Recovery. I can access F1 and ESC but cannot access the F10 - System Recovery. Don't know where to go from there. At present, I am trying to come up (borrow) another HD, without any luck thus far, to install as a slave and see if I can boot up with that one. That will, I think, determine whether the original HD is totally shot. My best guess, a Virus of some kind caused the problem. But then again, what do I know? Maybe the HD can be redeemed.

A speedy reply will be greatly appreciated.

mjc
05-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Set the boot order to boot to the optical disk.

Go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download the diagnostic utilities and burn them to a disk...this needs to be done on a working computer.

Put it in the Compaq and boot to the diagnostic disk. Run the short test.

hess303
05-04-2011, 02:35 AM
have done as instructed regarding the the downloading and burning of the HP diagnostic utilities program found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00471587&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3239113&tmp_track_link=ot_search. However, the downloaded file has an .iso extension which, when mounted, results in being two .bin files. What program is expected to open and run the .bin files on the PC that is to be diagnosed? Or, for that matter, what is the PC to be diagnosed to do with an .iso file?

hess303
05-04-2011, 03:08 AM
As they say, if it ain't one thing it's another. Presented with a new obstacle, can't get the CD ROM on the problematical PC to open. I'm thinking there may be a CD in the drive that is not sitting properly into the circle where it's supposed to sit in.

Nevertheless, am now in the process of creating another bootable hardware diagnostic utililties CD. Using a different HP PC. it turns out that the diagnostic program itself contains an option to create a bootable CD. And am now curious to learn what format the files will be created in and what program will eventually open and run the diagnostic program.

In any event, regarding my most immediate problem, any suggestions as to how I can get the CD ROM opened?

hess303
05-04-2011, 03:52 AM
Immediate problems have been overcome. CD ROM was opened. The HP Diagnostic Tools program, v3.0.1620, is now running a test. There was no short test option available. Selected option indicating OS was not found. Which appeared to be the closest identifier of my problem. Will post results when diagnostics completes. Wish me luck.

hess303
05-04-2011, 06:06 AM
I have the test results from the PC Doctor's Hardware Diagnostic Tools, but am baffled by something I noticed while the tests were being conducted - the Model# and SN indicated while the tests were being conducted showed a Model# and SN different from those of the PC being diagnosed. What's more, the "Using PC-Doctor Offline DOS Diagnostics to Verify Hardware Problems" site indicates the following: "PC-Doctor is intended to be used with the original HP or Compaq PC hardware configuration. Although it might work fine with hardware you've added to the PC since purchasing it, PC-Doctor was designed to work specifically with the hardware HP originally installed in the PC." I interpret that to mean that each PC, when originally purchased comes with it's own version of PC-Doctor, and that the PC-Doctor software I used to diagnose the PC problems, may not be compatible with the particular PC being diagnosed. Which would explain why the difference with the shown Model# & SN on the PC-Doctor Hardware Diagnostics Tools that I ran on the problemed PC. I hope that I am explaining the compatibility issue in a way that is readily understood. Correct me, PLEASE, if I am reading this wrongly.

The site goes on to say, "you can find and download the current version of the PC-Doctor Offline DOS Diagnostics software from the HP Web site. See (HP WWSG) Using PC-Doctor Offline DOS Diagnostics to Verify Hardware Problems." The current version is the sp26380.exe file that I downloaded and questioned regarding the fact that it was an .iso file. I tried using the .iso disk to diagnose the problem and got nowhere.

In any event, the diagnostic disk that did work did not indicate any hardware problems whatsoever but, in turn, indicated that the problem was a software issue. Keep in mind, it was diagnosing Model# ST3120213AS with SN 9L0S0xHKY while the actual PC it should have been diagnosing has the SN CNH645015P. All this is very confusing to me and a clarification of all this would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I can't go anywhere if I don't know where I am at now.

mjc
05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Go to www.seagate.com, go to the download section and download the bootable CD image of Seatools and run that. It is not HP specific and won't give the stupid complaint about the serial number being changed.

All that means (about the serial number) is that the hard drive has been changed at least once, in the past.

hess303
05-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Have completed running the SeaTools for DOS disk. Short DST completed without error. Both Short and Long tests "PASSED". Will running any of SeaTools' Advanced Features help with determining what may be wrong? Can anyone suggest any alternate diagnostic software that may be of further assistance? The worst part of all this will be the loss of irreplaceable family photos.

Sylvander
05-05-2011, 05:24 AM
1. Puppy Linux = Lupu-525 (http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm)

(a) Download the ISO image file on any good PC, burn the iso image to an optical disk [CD-RW is good], and boot the optical disk.

(b) You aught to see an icon on the Puppy desktop for the partition [file system] of your internal HDD.
Click that icon, and the partition_file_system will be mounted, and a [default file manager] window will appear displaying the folder/file contents of the partition.
This could be used to copy the contents to some other [(clicked to make) mounted] storage device/location.

(c) If you run "Menu->System->GParted" and choose to display your internal physical HDD, you should see the details of the partitioning/formatting of that HDD.
You might right-click on the Windows partition and choose to "check" [scan & fix] it [actually its file system].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(d) At 1st shut-down you will be offered the opportunity to make a [(500MB, or my preference=) 1GB?] pupsave [named "lupusave" in this case] to a storage location of your choice [from among a list of those connected/seen by the Puppy].
A Flash drive would be good [if slow], an internal HDD is faster, but yours is suspect.
The pupsave holds your personal configuration changes and any of your additionally installed packages.
The [incorruptible] Puppy on the optical disk [at boot] will seek, find, and use the pupsave [unless you use the command puppy pfix=ram at the start of the boot sequence].

Sylvander
05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Here's the Puppy Forums thread for Lupu-525 (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136).

Notice there's a PET file for an instant update.
You can install this from within the running Lupu [Lucid Puppy].
You click on the link when running a web-browser, then either choose to install right there, or else save to some handy location [I make and use a /00 folder], then click on the file using ROX, and it will install.
Advisable, but not essential to install.
This will then be auto-saved to the lupusave file, if made; otherwise it would not be saved = lost at shut-down.

hess303
05-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Sylvander, I don't understand what your LucidPuppy download and install suggestion is supposed to do to remedy my problem. Please explain how/why your suggested LucidPuppy download and install program will be of use to me. Moreover, as I understand it, Linux is a different OS. So, how will a program targeted for an OS that is different from my Win OS supposed to remedy my problems?

mjc, I value your input. Please don't abandon me.

Paul Komski
05-07-2011, 04:12 AM
The first thing to bear in mind when a peep states "Can anyone suggest any alternate diagnostic software that may be of further assistance? The worst part of all this will be the loss of irreplaceable family photos" is to keep this in the forefront of ones mind. Thus I suggest making and then booting to any Linux Live CD (Ubuntu, Puppy, Knoppix) made in the same manner as the SeaTools disk since all should be able to see the WinXP files and to then copy them to another hard drive or to a pen drive or burn them to a CD/DVD.

The file managers and mounting drives may take getting to know under Linux and my own favourite "Distro" for backing up data (http://www.paulski.com/zpages.php?id=1912) is Knoppix.

But back to basics. The underlying problem is a system with an apparently good hard drive that wont boot to WinXP but will boot to bootable CDs.

The boot processes would appear to be corrupted and the first thing I suggest is to see if you can get a SafeMode boot option by repeatedly pressing and releasing the F8 key during start-up.

The second thing would be to boot to the recovery console of a Windows XP installation CD and successively run the three commands:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980)

I suggest you only run any file-checking utilities once you have first backed up your data. If this cannot be done from a Linux distro then I suggest you should attempt recovery of the data using GetDataBack for NTFS (http://www.runtime.org/) with the hard drive first removed and then accessed internally or externally from another PC.

Some of all of the above is a bit geekish and may be hard to understand so don't be afraid of posting back for further elucidation. There is a very good chance that all or most of your data will be safe once it can be accessed. If you have ordered a new hard drive then you could also wait until it arrives, swap it in and install Windows to it and only then add back your own hard drive and see if it can be accessed in a manner you are familiar with from Windows.

Sylvander
05-07-2011, 05:19 AM
1. "Please explain how/why your suggested LucidPuppy download and install program will be of use to me"
(a) At that point in time you didn't have any functioning OS; Puppy would QUICKLY and EASILY give you a functioning OS whilst you [use it (and possibly other things) to] set about attempting to fix the problem.

(b) You could use the Puppy to check whether your internal HDD Windows partition contents can be seen, and if they can, to copy them to some other storage.
It would be a good sign if this can be done.
You'd have recovered your valuable files.

(c) You could use GParted to study/examine the partitions/formatting of your internal HDD [including your Windows partition], and see if there are any problems, or the things that GParted displays look OK.
You could also [use GParted to] "check" [scan & fix] the Windows partition (file_system).
It's always nice to be sure that's in good condition, and a good starting point before moving on to do other things.

(d) Once you'd done the above, I was going to suggest that you either:
If you have a FDD:
Use this "NT 4.0, 2000, XP or Server 2003 boot floppy disk" (http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/ntboot/) to attempt to boot your XP OS.
If you don't have a FDD, but do have a CD reader:
Use this iso file to make the bootable CD version of the above floppy (http://www.paulski.com/bootcds/bootxp.iso), and use it in a similar way.

(e) If d above succeeds [in booting XP][and hopefully it will] then you know there is a problem with the internal HDD boot arrangements, but the contents of the Windows folder are functional, and you can then proceed to attempt a fix.
Paul's suggested 3 Recovery Console commands are one [rather good] method of fixing this. [But you need the necessary Windows disk, and you may not have it]

Sylvander
05-07-2011, 06:52 AM
P.S.
There are other nice/handy things you can do with Puppy, like:

(a) Scan your dormant Windows partition for viruses, and eliminate any found.
You wouldn't want to be working with an infected Windows partition.
I can do this very easily because I already have it set up in various Puppies including Lupu-525.

(b) Use GSmartControl to check the state of health of your internal HDD.

(c) Make various types of backup [Pudd image, Xfe copy, snap2 snapshot] of whatever you like/choose.
For insurance in case something nasty happens whilst attempting a fix.

hess303
05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks heaps Sylvander for expanding on the many ways in which Lupu-525 can help me make my PC right again. I'm utterly daft and need to have technical things explained to me. Will give Lupu-525 a shot and get back with you regarding the results of same. I hope I do things correctly. But, if not, will get back with you for more technical support. Again, thanks heaps for your informed assistance.

Will be giving your suggestions a shot as well Paul K. With all the help I am getting now, I'm sure to regain access to the family photos. That alone deserves a heaping helping of, Thanks to all, for all of your help!!!!!

hess303
05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Need help. Not clear on downloading lupu-525 - am I just supposed to download & burn the puppy-5.2.5.iso file, or all of the 9 files included in the puppy-5.2.5. folder? Too, what files, if any, of those found on the http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/ link am I supposed to download and burn?

Sylvander
05-09-2011, 05:36 AM
1. "am I just supposed to download & burn the puppy-5.2.5.iso file"
All you really need to download is the lupu-525.iso (http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.5/lupu-525.iso)
[Remember to burn it as an ISO image, not as a file]

But if you want to be correct, you might want to check that the calculated md5sum value of the downloaded ISO file matches the given value =
b6658ab75cd5d48f358f0ee31b06b934
[I downloaded the above linked ISO file, and the calculated md5sum matched the given value...never had one that didn't match! :) ]

And at some point in the not-too-distant future, you may want to install [whilst running within the Puppy] the Lucid525-InstantUpdate-001.pet (http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.5/Lucid525-InstantUpdate-001.pet)
This can be downloaded to any handy folder [I make and use a /00 folder] and easily run/installed by [for example] left-clicking on the file using ROX, or using Xfe [once installed] to right-click it and choose "Open...".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. "or all of the 9 files included in the puppy-5.2.5. folder?"
No, you don't need all of these.

3. "what files, if any, of those found on the http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...ns/puppylinux/ link am I supposed to download and burn?"
WOA, where did you find this great list of thingies I wonder?
Ignore these, at a quick glance methinks they're not needed.

Paul Komski
05-09-2011, 09:14 AM
You could also [use GParted to] "check" [scan & fix] the Windows partition (file_system).
I have already alluded to this and strongly suggest you DO NOT RUN any file-checking/fixing utilities until you know your data is safe and preferably backed-up.

hess303
05-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Seeking further clarification from both Sylvander and Paul K..

Paul K., I cannot get access through Safe Mode. I have XP restore disks, but prefer not to use them if I don't have to as I don't want to loose the photos earlier mentioned. Now, I'm at a loss - I thought you'd suggested I use the Puppy/Linux program ("Thus I suggest making and then booting to any Linux Live CD (Ubuntu, Puppy, Knoppix)....". And that, by so saying, you'd suggested I use Puppy Linux, thus, including within your Puppy suggestion, lupu-525 = Linux's (Lucid) Puppy 525.

Or are you suggesting I use a Linux Live CD (Ubuntu, Puppy, Knoppix) solely to identify the Win XP boot files on my hard drive and to first copy those boot files onto, then run from a burnt CD/DVD?

How can I back up data that I cannot gain access to? I am assuming you are speaking of backing up the data on the PC that will not boot. As that is the PC that will need the installing of lupu-525 into. And, if not the lupu-525 program, what program/software need I use to diagnose and, hopefully, get my PC to boot?

BTW - Your quoted GParted suggestion does not appear on this thread. Possibly, you remember making the suggestion to someone else, experiencing the same problem as I. But that's OK. All new suggestions are welcomed.

Sylvander, so I should only download the lupu-525 file itself along with the accompanying .pet update, and also download the ROX or Xfe programs & use either of the two to install the lupu-525 file?

An aside: It appears that I am at an opposing time zone to both of you. I find your responses when I wake up. I then answer & wait until I wake up the following day to receive your next response. No problem, as long as the communication continues to flow. You're my only life lines to a reviving of the PC at the moment.

My apologies to you both for my continuously asking that you repeat/clarify your instructions. But, as earlier stated, I am utterly technologically daft and need the repetitions/clarifications to assure for myself I understand, and follow, your instructions correctly.

FTT
05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Hess,
You need to download, then burn the lupu iso file to a CD using an 'image' burning utility using Roxio, NERO or other programs with the image burning capabilities using a working computer and burner.

This will give you a 'live' disk to boot to/with using the optical drive in the non-working PC. You also will need storage media to store your photos once you use the Puppy to retrieve them from the non booting hard drive such as memory sticks/thumb drives or a USB external hard drive. Also save any other files you may wish to keep such as email addresses, favorites, or other contacts and other documents etc. Once you have accomplished this, you can use your recovery disks to reload your hard drive and once (if) successful, you will be able to reload your cherished pictures.

There are other ways to go about the recovery as some have already been mentioned above, but this seems to be the most plausible for you with your available resources. Borrowing another drive to use as a slave as you mentioned would work also.

Paul Komski
05-09-2011, 11:10 PM
1. There is a difference between Windows Restore Disks and Windows Installation Disks. Only the latter can or should be used to try to get to the recovery console.

2. Using GParted to check the file system was mentioned twice in Posts numbered #9 and #13.

3. Suggest using ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) or BurnCDCC (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm) to burn any downloaded .iso file to a CD; they are both simple to use and specifically designed for this purpose.

4. I had assumed you knew how burn and then to boot to a CD since you did this with the SeaTools utility. Booting to a Live CD (a bootable CD with its own inherent operating system) is, as mentioned above, the most likely way to see if you can access the hard drive (without using Windows) on the problematic PC.

5. I will be travelling in Europe for the next week or so and will thus not be visiting the forums so regularly. I should be able to access any emails so feel free to contact me that way if you like.

Sylvander
05-10-2011, 04:39 AM
1. "so I should only download the lupu-525 file itself along with the accompanying .pet update, and also download the ROX or Xfe programs & use either of the two to install the lupu-525 file?"
(a) No need to make a "full install" of Lupu-525.
Just burn the ISO image to an optical disk [I like CD-RW], and boot that "live" Puppy CD.
Once booted into the Puppy desktop, the CD can be removed from the optical drive and that optical drive can be used for other purposes.
This is because the Puppy has been loaded totally into [256MB minimum needed] RAM and runs there.

(b)There is no need for any other storage drive [Flash Drive or internal HDD] until/unless you want to make a pupsave at 1st shut-down.
You only need to make a pupsave IF you would like to save configurations and/or installations of additional packages.
i.e. To make the Puppy permanent, and thus be able to make and save changes made to it.
If you don't make a pupsave file, it means you may need to make certain basic configuration choices/confirmations [language, zone, keyboard, display settings] at each bootup until you DO make a pupsave.

(c) ROX comes ready installed, Xfe doesn't so must be installed (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showpost.php?p=456655&postcount=284)->[from within the running Puppy] [,and anyway, these don't install the Lupu-525 ISO].
They can be used to browse/manipulate the contents of partitions, once you have mounted those partitions by clicking on the partitions' icon on the desktop.
Thus, either can be used to view/study/copy/alter/delete folders/files on [for example] any mounted partition [the Windows partition?]

Paul Komski
05-10-2011, 06:59 AM
7.34MB Bootable WinXP Recovery Console ISO available at RC.iso (http://www.4shared.com/file/1CMsMr-q/RC_online.html) for anyone that is interested.

Boot to it and then press any key when prompted.
Choose R at the first full screen of options.
Enter Windows installation number (1 by default).
Enter Administrator password (just press Enter by default).
Should take you to C:\Windows prompt, where you can start entering commands.

hess303
05-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you, have been away for a few days.

Have installed lupu-5215 successfully, now how do I go about finding the photo file I am interested in?

Sylvander
05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
1. "Have installed lupu-5215 successfully"
(a) Would I be correct to assume that is Lupu-525?

(b) What kind of installation?
Did you just make a lupusave file at [1st?] shut-down?
If so, where did you save the lupusave file? On a Flash Drive?
Or else did you make a "full install" [or make a lupusave] on your suspect internal HDD?

2. "how do I go about finding the photo file I am interested in?"
(a) Where is the file being held?
On your Windows partition on the internal HDD?

(b) What kind of filesystem is in use on the partition holding the photo file?
How many partitions [with filesystems] on the internal HDD?

(c) Does the partition show on the Puppy desktop as an icon [named sda1 perhaps]?

(d) If so, try left-clicking on that icon.
A ROX window should auto-open and display the the contents of the root of the partition.
Can you see those?
You should then navigate down the folder system, to your photo file, by left-clicking on one folder after another.
Each time you click a new ROX window will replace the previous window to display the content of the folder you clicked.

3. Xfe:
(a) Would you like to install Xfe?
That works more like Windows Explorer, except better.
If so...
Go here and click on the link (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showpost.php?p=456655&postcount=284), and [read the suggestions, then] download and install this xfe_staticFOX-1.32.1-i486.pet (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=25454).
I normally make a /00 folder, and configure Firefox to use this as its default download destination [plus make the offer to choose some other location].
You can then use ROX to navigate to the PET file and left-click on it, and it will install.
Once Xfe is installed you can use Xfe instead of ROX to navigate to a PET file, then right-click on it and choose "Open".
You can use 3 panes with Xfe [I'll call them 0,1,2]...
Pane-0 is the folder hierarchy, which you use to navigate to items.
There are icons at the top of the window to enable just pane-1, or both panes-1&2.
Remember to left-click on the 3 ghostly icons below the panes to turn black->[hidden files are hidden] to white->[hidden files are displayed].

(b) If you want to use Xfe to copy the contents of a source partition/folder [or chosen files] to some other destination location:
You click on the / above either file-pane-1 [or 2] to make it the active pane, then use pane-0 to navigate to a partiton/folder and click on it to display its contents in that file-pane.
[A (previously mounted) partition (sda1?) would be found under /mnt (= /mnt/sda1) ]
Then click on the / of pane-2, and use pane-0 to navigate to your destination partition/folder [and left-click the item to display the contents, perhaps empty?].
Then highlight the source item[s] you wish to "Copy to..." or "Move to..."...
Then right-click the highlighted item[s] and choose the copy or move...
You will be offered the other pane [partition or folder] as your destination by default.
OK that, and watch the copy-or-move transfer take place.

hess303
05-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Have sda1 icon, am presently looking for the photos. Can the photos somehow be burnt onto a CD?

Sylvander
05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
1. "Can the photos somehow be burnt onto a CD?"
(a) I've never done that precise thing on Puppy, but I bet it's easy to do [such things are usually easy to do in a Puppy].

(b) I expect you should use "Menu->Multimedia->Pburn"

Try this:
[I'm doing it as I type]
(c) Remove the Lupu CD from the drive and place an empty CD [R or RW] in the drive and close it.
(d) Run Pburn. [Look at the bottom to see if your disk is seen]
(e) When asked, specify a location for "Pburn's temporary storage directory". Don't hold it within the lupusave file if a lot of space is needed. Instead, a good place to specify would be /mnt/home [Handy because it's already auto-mounted]
This is the location holding your lupusave file; is this location suitable in your situation?
In my case this is an ext3 partition on my 2nd internal HDD. [Lots of space and FAST to read/write]
(f) When the main Pburn window appears, you should see that the "Burn Data" title is highlighted in red.
(g) Go to the "Add data from here..." pane, and navigate [click on .. to the left of the address box] to the folder holding your photo-file[s].
[I found some of mine OK]
(h) Highlight the photo file and click "Edit->Add selection" [or click the + beneath the pane], and the photo will appear added to the right-hand pane.
Add more if you like.
(i) Click on the flaming burn button.
(j) Configure the burn settings in the new dialog that appears.
e.g. Whether to close the disk after burning, or make it multisession.
Specify the mediatype being used [CD?]
Make sure the correct optical drive is specified [only needs to be done once], or else the disk will not be seen ['cause it's looking at the wrong drive].
I think you need to close and restart the program after doing this [IF you do this], so the program sees your optical disk in the drive.
Mine is /dev/sr0 .
(k) Once all the settings are correctly specified, click the burn button on this dialog window.
(l) A new window will appear [the burn is now proceeding] displaying LOTS of info about the burn. No need to read all of that; just look at the bottom line.
(m) My burn has just completed.
I unticked the "eject disk" tick-box, and clicked "finished" [I NEVER verify; never been needed].
(m) Close the main program window. [I did]

2. Now I'm going to check whether the files can be seen on the CD-RW.
(a) Berry interestink! :confused:
1st attempt to mount sr0 by clicking on its icon on the desktop, was a failure.
Got a red warning window!
(b) So I closed the Pmount window that had auto appeared...opened the drive drawer...closed it again.
Then clicked on the sr0 icon, and the optical disk filesystem was mounted, and a ROX window appeared displaying the files I'd burned to the optical disk.

SUCCESS! :) :cool:

3. Now I'll use Pburn to blank the disk.

hess303
05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
All went well until I got to selecting temporary storage directory. The total space needed for storage is 687MB. The default directory is /root/my-documents/tmp (210MB free space), but there is not enough free space available there for storage. What now? How can I determine what directory has enough space available for temp storage?

LochLomonder
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
hess,

I don't want to step on Sylvander's toes, since he knows a lot more about Puppy than I do. Nevertheless, one option you can consider is using a flash drive and dumping your files on there. In fact, I'm in the middle of doing that right now for a colleague whose hard disk took a dump on her.

I just loaded up Puppy from a flash drive, located her files, and now I'm copying them all over to a sub-folder on the same flash drive.

Sylvander
05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
1. "How can I determine what directory has enough space available for temp storage?"
(a) First of all, the place you choose MUST be on a partition that is MOUNTED at the time you need to use it.
That's why in post #27, item 1(e) I suggested:
"Don't hold it within the lupusave file if a lot of space is needed. Instead, a good place to specify would be /mnt/home [Handy because it's already auto-mounted]
This is the location holding your lupusave file; is this location suitable in your situation.".

(b) You said in post #28:
"The default directory is /root/my-documents/tmp (210MB free space), but there is not enough free space available there for storage."
Exactly!
If you have made a rather small lupusave file [I usually make it 1GB][it's easy to increase the size of it at "Menu->Utility->Resize personal storage file"], then it won't be big enough for this purpose...
Which is why I suggested somewhere else...
Particularly a partition that is auto-mounted.
Hence the reason I suggested /mnt/home, which is particularly suitable, especially if there is plenty of room there...
[2GB (or greater) [ext3 is good] partition on a Flash Drive, or functional internal HDD?] .
[Normally this location is good, but you are NOT telling me much about your setup, so I'm left guessing]
I should explain that /mnt/home is just the Linux identification of the partition where you have placed your lupusave file.
--------------------------------------------------
Where did you place your lupusave file?
--------------------------------------------------
You can navigate to that location using any file explorer [ROX or Xfe], and take a look at the files [including the lupusave] held there.
That would include the "temporary storage directory" if you choose that location for it.

2. Did you manage to navigate-to and find/view your photo-file[s]?

hess303
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Found and viewed my photo files. Attempting to burn, again, starting from scratch. Will get back with you with said results in a bit. Wish me luck.
Darn, got visitors, will need to re-attempt to burn cd sometime later.

hess303
05-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Thankfully, a very quick visit. But, now, when I click on the flaming/burn icon, the Pburn window opens and freezes on "Checking Media.....Building command...." It's been about 10 min. now and still frozen. Yes, it's a blank CD, in case you're wondering. This is starting to become very frustrating. Maybe a break is advisable. Will break until a later time. Will keep the frozen window open for a bit longer, just in case!

hess303
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
LochLomonder, yes, have considered using a Flash Drive and have ordered - yesterday - same online and awaiting delivery. Taking all into consideration, that is, assuredly, the best and simplest option for saving/rescuing my photos.

BTW, Pburn window still frozen. Taking a break.

hess303
05-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Sylvander, restarted lupu-525, inserted the burnt files disk, and the sro icon appeared with the burnt files on the optical drive. However, keep getting the red window you mentioned earlier - it won't mount. Tried doing what you'd done to correct, "...opened the drive drawer...closed it again. Then clicked on the sr0 icon", but still can't mount. The burnt files disk mentioned is the first sro disk I burnt.

Oh, Sylvander, there is no "home" option available to me in the "/mnt" folder.

Sylvander
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
1. "when I click on the flaming/burn icon, the Pburn window opens and freezes on "Checking Media.....Building command....""
(a) Not sure what that indicates...
Searched the Puppy forums for "Checking Media.....Building command...."...
Info found suggests "Checking Media" is displayed when the program is checking whether the available space on the optical disk is capable of holding the files chosen for burning.
What do you think?
How much space would be needed for the files chosen/listed?
e.g. See this post. (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=326892#326892)
It says:
"when it says "checking media"... the only problem is that it would have to recheck the required capacity....
If the required capacity is greater than the actual capacity, Pburn could suggest either removing things from the burnlist or using overburn."
This is the developers suggesting the way Pburn should be made to work.
Pity they didn't go ahead and make it suggest removing items from the burnlist. :(

2. "it's a blank CD, in case you're wondering"
CD-R or RW?
And is the drive capable of burning that type of CD?

3. "inserted the burnt files disk, and the sro icon appeared with the burnt files on the optical drive."
Huh!?
This suggests you succeeded in burning the files to the optical disk, and yet you are telling us that the attempt to burn the disk failed.
Could you clear up this uncertainty?
I guess the disk did begin to burn the CD, but failed to complete.
So that there is a filesystem on the CD?
A blank CD [no filesystem] does not produce an sr0 icon on the desktop...
[I guess] A CD with a filesystem on it WOULD produce an [sro] icon on the desktop.

4. "However, keep getting the red window you mentioned earlier - it won't mount."
I guess this is because the burn of the optical disk didn't complete, so it cannot be mounted.
Best to use Pburn to BLANK the CD, before any attempt to try again.

5. "clicked on the sr0 icon", but still can't mount."
No point in attempting to mount such a CD.
BLANK it.

6. Make sure the disk has enough space to take the files before you attempt to burn.

Sylvander
05-17-2011, 05:34 PM
1. "Oh, Sylvander, there is no "home" option available to me in the "/mnt" folder."
(a) Now that is very STRANGE.
Not sure what you mean when you say this.
On the desktop, there aught to be displayed an icon [for the partition holding the lupusave file that is in use] with a gold sphere against it...
[See the 1st screenshot below showing my own]
[the sphere indicates the partition is mounted; the gold color (instead of green) indicates this is auto-mounted by Lupu (because it is using the lupusave file held there)]

(b) Once a lupusave file is in use, and as a result there is an icon with a gold sphere against it...
There aught to be displayed in the filesystem...
An address = /mnt/home
See the 2nd screenshot below of this displayed in the Xfe folder hierarchy [pane-0].
In ROX it displays as a "home" folder in the /mnt window.

hess303
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
How much space would be needed for the files chosen/listed?
313MB

And is the drive capable of burning that type of CD?
Yes, capable of burning the blank CD-R type in the drive.

This suggests you succeeded in burning the files to the optical disk, and yet you are telling us that the attempt to burn the disk failed. Could you clear up this uncertainty?
Yes, I succeeded on burning the sro files onto the optical disk. Discovered this when I restarted lupu-525 and re-inserted the burnt optical files disk, at which time the sro icon you spoke of appeared on the desktop. And when I click on the sro icon, the mount option becomes available, but it won't mount.

I guess this is because the burn of the optical disk didn't complete, so it cannot be mounted.
The burning of the optical disk did complete/finish, as far as I know. Moreover, was successful in re-burning the same files onto a different CD-R and still can't mount the sro files. Why would the mount option be made available on clicking the sro desktop icon if the files had not been successfully burnt? Why then would the sro icon display the sro burnt files and make them available for mounting? Although, as said, I can't mount them.

No point in attempting to mount such a CD. BLANK it.
It's a CD-R and cannot be erased and rewritten upon. Are you saying I can't mount a CD-R disk or that an unfinished CD burning would cause the "can't mount" error?

Make sure the disk has enough space to take the files before you attempt to burn.
It's a 700MB CD-R disk and the size of files to be burnt was 313MB.

PS - Cannot set the storage folder directory to be /mnt/home. There is no "home" option available to me in the "/mnt" folder when trying to change the tmp storage directory. And, when I try to edit the storage folder location to /mnt/home/Pburn/sro, the change will not stick. Or, leastwise, I don't know how to make it stick.

hess303
05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Did a search for /mnt folder using the pfind file finder. The /mnt folder found contains the following folders: cdrom, data, dvd, flash, floppy, msdos, ram1, sda1, swap, and zip. No /home folder displayed. So I created a /home subfolder. Will again attempt to burn said files after changing the storage directory to /mnt/home. This will be the third CD-R disk I burn the files onto. Hope the third time is, in fact, the charm, and will enable me to mount same. Wish me luck.

hess303
05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Just so you know exactly what I am doing, I will type the steps I'm taking, as I take them.

1-Install Pburn 3.3.4 - CD/DVD/Blu-ray Burner
2-Insert blank CD-R disc
3-I add the files I want to burn
4-CD capacity displayed, 702.83MB, Free 370.99MB
5-I click on flaming/burn Icon
6-Pburn window opens
7-In the Burn tab, I select Close disc - Make disc unwritable after this burn, choose CD as the Mediatype, and Use temporary storage (CD recommended) - Minimum size 332.31MB
8-To change the storage directory, I click on the browse button
9-Pburn - Temporary Storage window opens. I select File System/mnt/home
10- At the top of the Pburn - Temporary Storage window there is a Type a file name icon. Next to that icon is another, unnamed icon, next to which my mnt and home selections are displayed as 2 separate tabs of the unnamed icon.
11-I click on OK at the bottom right hand side of the Pburn - Temporary Storage window
12-A Pburn error window opens displaying the following: Selection is not a directory
13-I click OK in the Pburn window
14-Not knowing what directory to choose for Temporary Storage I go on to select the File System tab and make no changes there - Base File System-iso9660 level3 - max 31 uppercase chars and no spaces is already selected Extended filesystem Rockridge - Long filenames in Linux is already selcted joliet - Long filenames in Windows is selected along with the Follow symlink - (When off, 'size' will probably show more than you actually need) option.
15-I leave all as is in the Burner device tab. Burner device: /dev/cdrom Device: /dev/sro LITE-ON COMBO, The CD burner speed i s preset to "Auto"
16-I leave all as is in the Publish tab: Publisher: Pburn, Preparer: root and Project Label: pburn project
17-Leave all as is in the Advanced tab (selections are too long to retype here)
18-I click on the flaming/burn icon
19-Pburn - Burning progress window displays the progress as it makes the progresses.
20-Pburn 3.3.4 window opens. Under the flaming icon it says: Operation Finished, under that the Eject disc when finished selection is already checked off
21-I click on the Finished tab without verifying the burnt process
22-The burnt disc is ejected
23-I close the Pburn 3.3.4 - CD/DVD/Blu-ray Burner program
24-I reinsert the iso burnt files disc
25-An sro icon appears on the desktop and I click on it
26-The Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter program opens, under which it instructs "DO NOT REMOVE MOUNTED MEDIA" there are 2 tab selections: 1)drive, and 2)optical. I select the latter - optical
27-LITE ON COMBO SOHC-4836k is displayed under "optical', and it reads sr0 iso9660 next to a MOUNT tab
28-I click on MOUNT tab and Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter opens in red with the following error msg: ERROR: unable to mount sr0
29-I click OKAY and the Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter window reopens and I "QUIT" it

Paul Komski
05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
313 MB is tiny in today's marketplace. Burning data to CD/DVD is obviously an option but simply copying to even a "small", say 2 to 4 GB, USB flash drive would be very much (very much) simpler: IMHO.

hess303
05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
After all the experienced frustration, i totally agree. Now that is not to say that I will give up on this, will continue trying until the flash drive I ordered is delivered.

FTT
05-17-2011, 11:15 PM
This 300 some odd MB of files, are they the picture files you've been trying to recover? If so, do NOT burn as an iso file because you don't need the ability to boot from that CD, you just need to view it with either Puppy or any working OS.
Choose some other option instead of burn as iso. But yes, make sure it get's finalized.

hess303
05-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Burning as an .iso file is the only option available with the Pburn 3.3.4 - CD/DVD/Blu-ray Burner. The Base File System tab only lists 2 "iso" file options, on 2 different levels - level 1 or level 3. There is no option to save files as .jpeg files per se.

Sylvander
05-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Re post #37:
1. "The burning of the optical disk did complete/finish, as far as I know. Moreover, was successful in re-burning the same files onto a different CD-R"
I'm confused. :confused:
Previously you said:
"when I click on the flaming/burn icon, the Pburn window opens and freezes on "Checking Media.....Building command...."It's been about 10 min. now and still frozen."
This indicates that the burn process HALTED prior to completion.
I assume it never did complete.

2. "still can't mount the sro files"
I'm no expert, but I think it is the "partition_file_system" that gets mounted or not.
Not the files?
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will explain.

3. "Why would the mount option be made available on clicking the sro desktop icon if the files had not been successfully burnt?"
(a) As I said previously...
I guess it's because a filesystem or file table was created on the CD-R, although the burn was never finalised.
(b) If all is well, when you click on the sr0 icon, the filesystem should be mounted and a ROX window auto-open, and the files displayed.
The Pmount window is appearing methinks, because you have attempted to mount sr0 but the attempt has failed.
It's no surprise to me that the Pmount window/program also fail when/if you try to mount sr0.

4. "Why then would the sro icon display the sro burnt files"
The sr0 icon doesn't represent the FILES, it represents the partition [and its file system?]

5. "Are you saying I can't mount a CD-R disk"
You should/would be able to mount the filesystem on the CD-R if the burn had been properly completed/finalised.

6. "or that an unfinished CD burning would cause the "can't mount" error?"
Exactly so!

7. "It's a 700MB CD-R disk and the size of files to be burnt was 313MB."
OK, so that wasn't the cause of the failure to complete the burn.
Need to look for some other cause.
Any errors in the configuration choices you made?
This is the step [post #27, 1j] just prior to clicking burn button, and the burn process starting.

8. "There is no "home" option available to me in the "/mnt" folder"
---------------------------------------
Did you make a lupusave file?
---------------------------------------
I've asked this before, but you haven't answered!
If you didn't make a lupusave file, or if it is failing to be found at startup, there will be no auto-made /mnt/home .
You will be using the Lupu525 "live" CD with no saved configurations or additional packages. [Not smart!]
In which case Lupu will be asking at each shut-down, whether you want to make a lupusave file.

9. "when I try to edit the storage folder location to /mnt/home/Pburn/sro, the change will not stick"
The Puppy is preventing you from doing this, because it is not possible to make a temporary storage location on sr0 [the CD-R].
And surely that address doesn't even exist!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post #38:

10. "No /home folder displayed."
Need to figure out WHY there is no /home folder.
See item 8 above.

11. "So I created a /home subfolder."
This is not a satisfactory way to solve the problem.
Need to find out WHY no /mnt/home folder is being auto-created.
i.e No lupusave file made/found/used?

12. "This will be the third CD-R disk I burn the files onto"
This is a major reason I use CD-RW.

13. "Hope the third time is, in fact, the charm"
No point in "flogging a dead horse"...
Need to figure out WHAT it is that is causing the burn to fail.
I don't think I've EVER had [in any Puppy, with my hardware] a failure to complete a burn.

Post #40:
14. "simply copying to even a "small", say 2 to 4 GB, USB flash drive would be very much (very much) simpler"
Quite so.
I am continuing with the attempt to burn files to an optical disk until the Flash Drive is got.
And anyway, I'm sure hess303 would like to be able to burn files to CD.

Post #43:
15. "Burning as an .iso file is the only option available with the Pburn 3.3.4 - CD/DVD/Blu-ray Burner."
Eh!? :confused:
You should NOT click the "Burn ISO-image" button...
[Which is what you WOULD do IF you wanted to burn an ISO image to a CD, but you don't]

16. "There is no option to save files as .jpeg files per se"
YES THERE IS, and I explained it in post #27, beginning at item 1(f).

Post #39:

16. "2-Insert blank CD-R disc"
At the bottom of the window...
Did the program display text saying the disk was being seen?
It should say:
"Scanning disk - please wait"
Then something like:
"CD: 702.83 Mb....Free: 702.83 Mb"
[My CD-RW's show as this]

17. "9-Pburn - Temporary Storage window opens. I select File System/mnt/home"
(a) To be able to navigate to this, the partition holding this MUST have already been [auto?] mounted.

(b) Question in my mind is:
Is this the mnt/home folder made by you and mounted manually by you?
Or is it [as it aught to be] the mnt/home folder auto-made by the Lupu-525 because it holds the lupusave that was sought, found, and used during the Lupu-525 boot process.
See screenshot below [part of the Pburn options window] of my own chosen location, plus the browse folder to specify the location.

18. "10- At the top of the Pburn - Temporary Storage window there is a Type a file name icon."
I just navigate to mnt/home and OK that [auto-mounted] location.

19. "12-A Pburn error window opens displaying the following: Selection is not a directory"
Because you MANUALLY made that as a FILE?

20. "Base File System-iso9660 level3 - max 31 uppercase chars and no spaces is already selected Extended filesystem Rockridge - Long filenames in Linux is already selcted joliet - Long filenames in Windows is selected along with the Follow symlink - (When off, 'size' will probably show more than you actually need) option."
All of these the same as my own settings.
I wonder if your fle system should be different for a CD-R?

21. "Device: /dev/sro....The CD burner speed i s preset to "Auto""
same as mine.

22. "16-I leave all as is in the Publish tab: Publisher: Pburn, Preparer: root and Project Label: pburn project"
Same here.

23. "17-Leave all as is in the Advanced tab"
same here.

24. "20-Pburn 3.3.4 window opens. Under the flaming icon it says: Operation Finished, under that the Eject disc when finished selection is already checked off"
Excellent!
That's the result you want.

25. "25-An sro icon appears on the desktop and I click on it"
When you do this, a green sphere should appear against the icon and a ROX window should auto-appear on the desktop, and display the [file] contents of the CD.
Pmount should NOT run.
The fact that it did run indicates a problem with mounting.
Wish I was there to see everything; difficult to know what is going wrong just by reading what you type.

26. "28-I click on MOUNT tab and Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter opens in red with the following error msg: ERROR: unable to mount sr0"
Confirms there's a problem mounting sr0.

hess303
05-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Okay, I got the USB Flash Drive, and moved all the needed files onto the USB Drive. That's not to say I've given up on learning how to burn files from sda1 onto a CD disc, using the Pburn program. Will still need your help to do that Sylvander, if you will stick with me on doing that.

Sylvander
05-20-2011, 01:54 AM
1. "on learning how to burn files from sda1 onto a CD disc, using the Pburn program. Will still need your help to do that Sylvander, if you will stick with me on doing that."
OK, but perhaps you should do that [in a separate dedicated thread?] AFTER you've dealt with the original/immediate problem of your internal HDD, and booting Windows, to which end...

2. You should make 1 or more backups of your Windows partition contents in their present state.
----------------------
(a) Do you have a favourite image backup program?
(b) How big is the Windows partition? 3(a) below should give you that info.
(c) If the Windows partition isn't too HUGE, and you don't have some other favourite...
You could use...
The natively included [not the fastest available, but thorough I guess] "Menu->Utility->Pudd" program to image either:
The contents of the whole of your internal HDD [includes the MBR]...
Or...
The Windows partition only [doesn't include the MBR].
----------------------

(d) The BRILLIANT Xfe (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showpost.php?p=456655&postcount=284) [Have you installed it yet?] can be used to copy the whole of the contents of whatever you like [the Windows partition on the internal HDD?]...
To some other [external USB connected HDD?] storage device.

(e) The very nice Menu->Utility-General Utilities->snap2 (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50402) program [I have it installed, plus dirdiff (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=385237#385237) which scans and displays differences in contents].
Snap2 snapshots save on usage of time and storage space, because a new snapshot only copies the additions/changes, and those supplement previous snapshots, yet it displays "ALL of the content", and you can restore "all of the content" [using Xfe?].
Here's the snap2-4.18.pet (http://files.crnatural.net/snap2-4.18.pet) file.

3. You should use "Menu->System->GParted", choose the internal physical HDD [sda?], to display the partition[s]...
(a) To see if all looks well.
(b) e.g. Right-click your Windows partition, and click "check"...
Then click the "Apply" button above, click "Apply" again on the new window, and watch the "Check and repair" operation through to successful completion.

4. You could use Gsmartcontrol smart monitor (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=343318) to check on the state of health of your internal HDD.
Here's the gsmartcontrol-0.8.5-i386.pet (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=21930) file.

5. Installing a PET file is really EASY [when you know how?]
(a) Just download the file to your preferred folder/location [/00?]...
Check the md5sum [if you like]...
Or else install verifypet-0.1.pet (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=254981&sid=dba53e025f9abfba541c4a486a81842d)...
I can tell you how to easily use that to verify that a downloaded PET files' internally recorded md5sum matches the calculated value.
Here's the verifypet-0.1.pet (http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/software/puppy/PETget/verifypet-0.1.pet) file.

(b) Then you use either:
ROX to left-click on the PET file, and it will install.
Or, use...
Xfe to right-clcik on the PET file and choose "Open", and it will install.

That'll do for now. :)
More steps [like attempting to boot your Windows OS] to follow later.

Sylvander
05-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Oops...
Should have said to run step 3(b) AFTER steps 2(a)(b)(c), and BEFORE 2(d) &2(e).

i.e "Check" [scan & fix] the partition_file_system, only AFTER making an image backup...
And BEFORE making any backups of the partition file contents using Xfe and/or snap2.