PDA

View Full Version : HP Drivers

kingjames86
05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Hey Guys, long time reader, first time poster. I have a (or a few) questions, I have an HP laptop (Pavilion dv6000) that had Vista on it, I upgraded to Windows 7 but decided I wanted to go back to XP, so I bought XP (64-bit) from my school installed it and in device manager some drivers are missing. I looked at hp.com and they have like 8 drivers for XP none of which are the ones I need...so my questions are:

Can I use Vista drivers?
If not, where can I (safely) get drivers?
How come when I upgraded to Win7 I didn't need to install any drivers?

Thanks in advance!!

LochLomonder
05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the forum, kingjames.

Can I use Vista drivers?

It's hit and miss. Some Vista 64-bit drivers may work on the XP 64-bit platform, but it's a matter of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. XP 64-bit never really took off in the same way as the Vista and Windows 7 platforms, so there wasn't really the same level of support from manufacturers.

How come when I upgraded to Win7 I didn't need to install any drivers?

Microsoft worked in conjunction with a lot of hardware manufacturers to include their drivers within the OS. That's why, for the most part, you likely didn't need to install any drivers. I would say, however, it's always worth checking with the manufacturer to see if there are any updates.

To be honest, I think you would be better going back to Win 7. I hated Vista, but I think Win 7 was a marked improvement over it. I know XP will still be supported by Microsoft until April 2014 (see notes (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3)), but I really doubt they'll be much in the way of further development - if any - by hardware and software manufacturers for the XP 64-bit platform.

kingjames86
05-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, kingjames.

It's hit and miss. Some Vista 64-bit drivers may work on the XP 64-bit platform, but it's a matter of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. XP 64-bit never really took off in the same way as the Vista and Windows 7 platforms, so there wasn't really the same level of support from manufacturers.

Microsoft worked in conjunction with a lot of hardware manufacturers to include their drivers within the OS. That's why, for the most part, you likely didn't need to install any drivers. I would say, however, it's always worth checking with the manufacturer to see if there are any updates.

To be honest, I think you would be better going back to Win 7. I hated Vista, but I think Win 7 was a marked improvement over it. I know XP will still be supported by Microsoft until April 2014 (see notes (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3)), but I really doubt they'll be much in the way of further development - if any - by hardware and software manufacturers for the XP 64-bit platform.

Okay thanks for the reply...I'm going to see if I can get Win7 for cheap from my school and go from there. I only have 2 gigs of RAM that should be enough right?

LochLomonder
05-07-2011, 12:55 PM
You're welcome. I know for a while Microsoft were doing student deals for purchasing Win 7, so see if that's still on offer.

To be honest, I would recommend going with 4GB minimum. Sure, Win 7 will work with 2GB, but it'll drag its heels somewhat.

KnightIRD
05-30-2011, 06:07 PM
HA! I have 7 pro on my machine with 2 gigs of RAM, and it works just fine. There is no lagging or anything. 2 Gigs of RAM is plenty for 7. I don't think DV6000's support 4 gigs either. I have one, and it only supports 2.

jlreich
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
You can likely find the chipset and other drivers for XP64 directly from the manufacturer (not talking HP but the manufacturer of the actual chips like Intel or Realtek). We can help you locate them if you give us the exact model of your laptop. There are many versions of DV6000's out there. You may have to pull the battery out and look underneath it to find the exact model.

But I agree installing 7 is a very good idea. How cheap you can get it depends on your school. My daughter paid $45 for 7 pro upgrade. But I have heard as low as $10.