PDA

View Full Version : Personalizing windows 7

DLeonR
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi guys, I am very new to windows 7 and I am working on my grandson's laptop. It's and Acer running windows 7 Home Premium. At the moment I have it running, on the desktop the background is black solid with the icons and taskbar at the bottom. However I am trying to put one of the themes (landscape, nature, architecture or other. But each time I select one of them I get the black background, even if I change the solid black to a nother pastel color, when I go back to the themes and try to select, it turns black again. Now I did not have that problem with my windows ultimate when I set it up last week. Can someone help me here?

Thanks in advance

LochLomonder
05-17-2011, 03:45 PM
It could be a few different things, but here's what I suggest you look at first of all...

1. Check to see Windows has been activated. If not, do that. The black background can be part of Microsoft's nagging if the Windows copy hasn't been activated. If it's activated, try this next...

2. Go to Control Panel and open the Ease of Access Center.

2. Click on Optimize visual display and then scroll down to the bottom where it says Remove background images (where available). If this is ticked, click on it once to uncheck it, click OK and then close the window. Try changing the background now.

3. If this doesn't work, try updating the video drivers for the laptop from the manufacturer's website.

There may be more options, but we can try these out for the time being.

DLeonR
05-17-2011, 07:44 PM
It could be a few different things, but here's what I suggest you look at first of all...

1. Check to see Windows has been activated. If not, do that. The black background can be part of Microsoft's nagging if the Windows copy hasn't been activated. If it's activated, try this next...

2. Go to Control Panel and open the Ease of Access Center.

2. Click on Optimize visual display and then scroll down to the bottom where it says Remove background images (where available). If this is ticked, click on it once to uncheck it, click OK and then close the window. Try changing the background now.

3. If this doesn't work, try updating the video drivers for the laptop from the manufacturer's website.

There may be more options, but we can try these out for the time being.

At the ease of access center and scroll down the option at remove background images is open (unchecked), so I will try to download the drivers. All this is because his computer was loaded with viruses and being only 7 years of age is not too familiar with running antivirus and the works. So his Mom sent me the computer from NY where they live to me down here in Florida to see what I could do for him. Well I got rid of the viruses but it really screwed this computer up. Like some of the folders in programs is no longer there. I was even thinking of upgrading this OS but I wanted to try to fix it as to save all his stuff he have on the computer.
Thanks for your help in this matter.

DLeonR
05-17-2011, 08:25 PM
I not have the latest drivers for this laptop. But it did not do anything to help this situation.

LochLomonder
05-18-2011, 01:00 PM
All this is because his computer was loaded with viruses...

Okay, are you absolutely sure the laptop is free from any viral infection(s)? If so, you can always try a system restore to a previous instance to see if this will help. Sometimes it will do the job successfully; other times not so much. If system restore doesn't work, you can always attempt a start-up repair to see if that'll work.

When you mentioned saving your grandson's stuff, is it just personal data or are you referring to installed programs, too? If it's just the former, you can always just back it up to other media, e.g. flash drive, DVD, external HDD, etc. Of course, you need to ensure it's free of any viral infections or it'll just start all over again.

DLeonR
05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
I am very sure there is no more viruses in this computer. I have tried restore but that could not work because it only went back as far as Monday when I started working on the laptop. Where do I find this start-up repair? I don't see anything like that or do you mean using my windows7 ultimate disk?

LochLomonder
05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Depending upon the build, sometimes it's available on the hard disk. However, I would say just run your own installation DVD and choose it from there. If this doesn't find anything to repair, I would suggest lifting your grandson's personal data from the laptop and doing a reinstall.

This is just a suggestion, and you're perfectly free to ignore it should you think it's inappropriate, but you might want to ensure when you set up a profile for your grandson that it's for a Standard User, not an Administrator.

It won't ensure the machine is 100% guarded against malware infection. Nevertheless, it'll make it that much harder for malware which exploits administrative privileges to infect the machine. Furthermore, it might help stop the little fellow changing things inadvertently and messing something up.

DLeonR
05-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Depending upon the build, sometimes it's available on the hard disk. However, I would say just run your own installation DVD and choose it from there. If this doesn't find anything to repair, I would suggest lifting your grandson's personal data from the laptop and doing a reinstall.

This is just a suggestion, and you're perfectly free to ignore it should you think it's inappropriate, but you might want to ensure when you set up a profile for your grandson that it's for a Standard User, not an Administrator.

It won't ensure the machine is 100% guarded against malware infection. Nevertheless, it'll make it that much harder for malware which exploits administrative privileges to infect the machine. Furthermore, it might help stop the little fellow changing things inadvertently and messing something up.

You have been geat and very helpful. That startup repair is not installed on this computer. Funny how they bought this computer brand new and it does not have a partitioned disk with recovery files on it. Well I have decided to reinstall windows on this computer but I don't want to use up space installing in a nother folder I will like to wipe the drive clean. What would be the best way to go about cleaning everything on the drive. Or formatting the drive. Thanks

LochLomonder
05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help to you, since I realise it's a real chore having to reinstall the OS. Since it's a laptop, just be sure you visit the manufacturer's website and grab all the appropriate drivers in advance.

You should be able to boot from the Win 7 Ultimate disk you have and when you do that, choose a Custom install. If you then look under the Drive options (advanced) option, you will be able to format the partition where you're going to install the OS.

Now, I have seen instances whereby Win 7 gives an error and says it cannot continue the installation. If this does happen, repeat the process I mentioned above but instead of formatting the disk, delete the partition and then work from there.

DLeonR
05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks LochLomonder, I will take it from here and post back, maybe tomorrow. I am going to need some time to this, so I will have to make sure I don't have anything schedule around that. You have been a big help, I will let you know with my next post how I made out.

LochLomonder
05-18-2011, 04:55 PM
DLeonR,

You're welcome, and I'll be happy to provide you with any further assistance you need. :)

DLeonR
05-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I am posting back to let you know of my results. Before going ahead with upgrading to windows ultimate, on my grandson's laptop I went to my computer>main drive>programs>acer recovery management and saw where I could burn the recovery disks. I did burn them (3) of them then I also burn the app drv1 disk (drivers and application?) However, when I followed the instructions to restore the computer it kept kicking out the disk and telling me to insert disk recovery1 (the disk it kept kicking out). I got a bit frustrated because I tried everything I knew how. Then I thought perhaps the disk was not burned properly so I re-burned it and it did the same thing. So I pulled out my windows ultimate disk and re-installed windows. So everything is now good as new. So I called my grandson and ask him if he had some of those games that I did not save and he said yes.
So I want to say thanks again for your big help in this and I am starting to familiarize myself with windows 7. I have been dealing with windows xp now for years and I am still learning that. LOL

LochLomonder
05-20-2011, 08:40 AM
DLeonR,

Seems like all's well that ends well, and I'm glad for your sake. Having used XP since it came out, I must say I actually prefer Win 7 over it. I had a brief dalliance with Vista, but thankfully it didn't last too long. I think once you start delving into the Win 7 OS, it'll work out nicely :)

DLeonR
05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I agree with you 100% about windows 7, that is why I installed it in one of my computers. I have some catching up to do with windows 7. I am always late. LOL

LochLomonder
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
DLeonR,

If you want to learn more about Windows 7, you might be interested in downloading this free e-book (http://www.ghacks.net/2011/05/07/ghacks-editors-windows-7-power-users-guide-ebook-is-now-free/).

I've read through it and while it doesn't cover absolutely everything you'll need to know, it's still a worthwhile read for helping you understand the system.

DLeonR
05-21-2011, 02:44 PM
LochLomonder, thanks very much for the link on the e-book. I will sure to get it downloaded.