PDA

View Full Version : The built-in administrator account

357mag
05-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Trying to understand this built-in administrator account that is disabled by default in Windows 7. How do you enable it? How do you log on using it? Is there a way to rename it?

LochLomonder
05-20-2011, 07:57 AM
It's easy enough to enable this account. Here's what you do...

Click on the orb and in the box where it says Search programs and files, type CMD.

When the program appears in the results above, right-click it and choose Run as administrator, and then click "Yes". This opens the Command Line Interface (CLI), and you should type the following in the box to reveal the administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

That should give you a message that the command completed successfully, so type in Exit to close the CLI. If you now click to Switch user, when you go back to the login screen you'll see the Administrator account available as an option. If you ever want to hide it again, all you need to do is follow the instructions outlined above. When it comes to entering the command, you'd type in this instead...

net user administrator /active:no

As for changing the name? Sure, it can be done. Just have a read of this page (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/7417-built-administrator-account-change-name.html) and it'll walk you through the process.

jlreich
05-20-2011, 08:08 AM
It is a good idea to do this. Some people have had issues where they can't get into their user account for various reasons and if you don't enable this there is no easy way to get back in.

Just make sure you set a strong password for the admin account. ;)

LochLomonder
05-20-2011, 10:34 AM
jlreich,

Just make sure you set a strong password for the admin account.

Absolutely! I'm still aghast at how some people use extremely basic passwords for such important accounts. I use combinations of Scots Gaelic, Latin, and letter/number transpositions with mine. If someone can crack that, good luck to 'em ;)