PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 and transfer of files

songbird2
05-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I recently purchased a new computer from Dell (XPS 8300)...before removing the old pc, I saved some data on a USB stick and I unknowingly saved e-mails...I have a cap with my IP and if I download all those e-mails, I will be penalized for 24 hours since I am with xplornet/hughes...don't get me started!
When I go to Outlook, it starts to upload all these e-mails...how can i permanently delete them before they get transfered to my inbox...I know where I have saved them and I have the password but I don't seem to be able to stop the process from dowloading..I am scared to be penalized again as I did earlier this week...

LochLomonder
05-20-2011, 10:45 AM
songbird,

I'm not sure if your ISP offers you a webmail service, i.e. the ability to access your account from a browser. If that is the case, you can log on there and delete all the e-mails held on their system so you don't re-download them to Outlook.

On top of that, you can configure Outlook to delete messages on your mail server once they're downloaded. It should do that by default, but I don't know if you've set it otherwise. That way, you won't have to worry about re-downloading these messages again and breaching your cap. If you read this Microsoft page (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/leave-e-mail-messages-on-your-e-mail-server-HA001150793.aspx), it will show you how to do it.