PDA

View Full Version : Cannot reinstall windows???

wiireless
05-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi all, i have a problem with my pc. Currently when i turn it on, it does nothing except staying at the main screen where you are prompted to either press esc to enter boot options of F10 to enter the BIOS. I have managed to boot from my windows disc in attempt to reinstall windows. However, after the process is completed and the computer restarts, I am prompted to press any key to boot from cd again. I tried to repartition the disk space again and redo the process but the same thing happens over and over again. Anyone knows why?? Thanks in advance for any help i can get

Paul Komski
05-30-2011, 06:40 AM
If the drive is listed in the BIOS setup it sounds very likely that it has developed bad sectors in critical areas.

Suggest downloading the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility from their website, make the bootable CD and then boot to it and run the diagnostics on the hard drive.

If bad the same utility may or may not be able to fix the errors.

Sylvander
05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
1. "I have managed to boot from my windows disc in attempt to reinstall windows. However, after the process is completed and the computer restarts, I am prompted to press any key to boot from cd again. I tried to repartition the disk space again and redo the process but the same thing happens over and over again. Anyone knows why??"
This happened to me when I used a non-Microsoft program [Puppy_Linux->GParted] to->[partition the internal HDD, and format the partition].

Found that I had to use Microsoft programs [fdisk.exe & format.com] to do the work...
And then met with success.
i.e. At the point after the copying of the Windows files to the "Windows" folder...
When there is an attempt to restart and boot Windows...
Instead of beginning again right back at the start...
Windows booted and successfully continued with the installation procedure.

Paul Komski
05-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Unless one is reinstalling Win9x/ME there is no need to use the DOS utilities fdisk or format or indeed any other utilities. All the Windows installation disks from Win2K onwards should be capable of setting up any partitions and formatting them when doing a clean reinstall. The best way is often to simply delete all partitions or wipe the hard drive before starting the re-installation from the Windows CD/DVD.

after the process is completed and the computer restartsI suppose dome details of exactly what process completed would be nice but I had assumed this was the series of actions done by the installation process.

wiireless
05-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I suppose dome details of exactly what process completed would be nice but I had assumed this was the series of actions done by the installation process.

I tried deleting all partitions and than creating one single partition, where i then chose to install windows on. The process i was referring to was just until the part where they say "copying windows files" and then restarting after that.

Paul Komski
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the full info, which is what I suspected. I still suspect an intrinsic problem with the hard drive.

FTT
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Wiireless,
What is this PC? What type of drive is it using? If this is a PATA or ide drive, make sure the jumper is in the proper position.

Also in BIOS, make sure the boot order list has the drive on it as first or second device,, order is not as important as it being on the list.

Also what brand of hard drive is it? You could download the manufacturer's utilities and burn to a CD-R to test the drive.

Paul Komski
05-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Also in BIOS, make sure the boot order list has the drive on it as first or second device,, order is not as important as it being on the list.
This is a good point - and such a simple one. Because setup must be "seeing" the hard drive if it goes through the motions of copying (or actually does copy) files during the text mode part of setup.

FTT
06-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Paul,
Yes, setup must be seeing the drive, because it is allowing the file transfer/extractions. But what I am getting at (from :o experience) is twofold.

If the jumper is wrong on an ide HDD (WD in this example), the BIOS sees it anyway if say perhaps you have the jumper on Master with slave and you take the slave out to prevent accidental data loss. Windows goes through the motions of file transfer but will not boot to the drive because the jumpers are/were wrong. The other half of the example is you need to make sure Windows will even try to boot from a fixed disk, so it has to be in the boot order even if third on the list. I've had some Bios' with more options, and if say, FDD, CD and SCSI were listed as the 3 options, the ide HDD would not even try.