PDA

View Full Version : Windows blue screen Error

arnomi15
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi. I get a unmountable boot volume error on Windows XP. I cannot run it in safemode.

Stop: 0x000000ED
0x8AC13900
0xC0000006
0x0000000

on a blue screen

is this a serious problem? What's your suggestion on this? I'm intermediately knowledgeable about computers.

Do I need to reformat?

Thanks for your help

Sylvander
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
1. Most likely the XP partition_file_system has been so seriously corrupted, that XP is unable to run with enough functionality to automatically fix itself.
Hence you need to manually repair the partition_file_system.

Do you know how to do that? [See 4 below]
Which file_system is in use? NTFS?

2. Likely cause:
Did you power-off XP improperly?

3. See this web page: http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinxp.htm
"Find:" 0ED
Part of the full title: Stop 0x000000ED or Stop 0xED or UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
Look at both of those linked pages for background info.
i.e.
STOP 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403)
And...
STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Error Message (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185)

(a) If it were me, [as a quick/easy method (for me anyway)] I would use "Puppy_Linux->GParted" to display the internal physical HDD->right-click on the Windows partition->and click "check" to scan & fix the partition_file_system.
If [as I do] you routinely use Puppy, such stuff is soooo easy.

(b) You may choose to use the chkdsk /r command in the "Recovery Console" of your XP installation disk.
[As instructed at those linked web pages]

arnomi15
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
she may have turned it off before it shut down yes. shes my grandma and shes older and sometimes does things she shouldnt but doenst know any better.

is this a lengthy difficult process?

ill look through the guides on the links you gave me, i just want to be able to repair it rather than reformat.

i appreciate the response

arnomi15
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
im guessing theres a separate fix for each specific error, and not one fix thats going to fix all of them?

LochLomonder
06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
arnomi,

If there's data on the drive you really want to salvage, I would steer clear of using the repair console from the XP installation disk. While running chkdsk /r may bring the drive back to a bootable state, it can also make things harder when trying to recover any corrupted data.

How old is the machine? Bear in mind hard disk drives are ostensibly mechanical in nature, and they will wear out over time. On that basis, if you do manage to retrieve data from it, you might want to consider replacing the hard disk so you don't end up back where you started with a failing hard disk.

Others may have different approaches to such situations, but when I'm trying to retrieve data from a failing hard disk I'll often boot from a flash drive containing a Linux Live variant. That way, it'll bring up an environment where I can attempt to interrogate the failed drive and see what's salvageable. I don't know if you're familiar with such a route, but it's not a steep learning curve. In fact, it's fairly intuitive once you load the OS.

Sylvander
06-01-2011, 07:29 PM
1. There have been a number of times in the past where...
When booting my Windows OS [2000Pro]...
I got a STOP: error.
I got into the automatic habit of immediately fixing the partition_file_system, and that ALWAYS produced a fix.
Looks like it probably would in your case also.
I've never seen it do any harm, but anyway I always have an image backup, so no worries.

Some versions of Puppy_Linux are designed to do this at EVERY boot.
Lupu-525 [my No1 OS] does this automatically after any/each/every improper power-off, and will [because the basic OS files are loading from an uncorruptible optical disk] ALWAYS succeed in fixing any problem found...
And carry on like nothing had happened.
Nice or what! :) :cool:

2. In the past, when my Win2000Pro was installed on a FAT32 file_system, I used "Emergency_Boot_CD->MS_Scandisk" to do the scan/fix.

3. I would now use "Puppy_Linux->GParted".
It can work with many/various file_systems.
Which file_system is in use on the XP partition?

Re points raised by LochLomonder:
4. I ALWAYS had/have an image backup at the very least, so I never had to worry about that.
Do you have a backup of the Windows partition in question?
A Puppy_Linux can make various kinds of backup.
You should make an image backup PRIOR to a scan/fix of the partition_file_system.
You would [use Puppy->(Xfe or snap2) to] make a copy of the folder/file contents of the partition AFTER the scan/fix.
Would you like to make a bootable "live" Puppy_Linux optical disk? [CD-RW is my favourite]
Xfe ="X File Explorer" allows you to attempt to view/browse/copy/move the folder/file contents of a partition after you [click its icon on the desktop to] mount it.

arnomi15
06-01-2011, 08:04 PM
i followed that guide you sent me, popped in the windows disk and ran the check disk/r command and it found the error and fixed it and now everythings great.

appreciate all the advice. its nice knowing i can come here and get quick accurate responses. have a good day everyone

Sylvander
06-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Good outcome. :D