PDA

View Full Version : Ntldr

Jonestown
06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I recently purchased a Maxtor 320 GB hard drive. I inadvertently installed WindowsXP on this drive without any partition - I was distracted at the time of the formatting and installation, to be truthful, so I do not know what happened. Any how, Windows XP was not properly installed, so I used another computer to format the drive by right-clicking on the drive and choosing format. I assumed this would wipe the disk drive clean, but it did not. Apparently, a partition was created at the time of installation because, of two reasons - one, the size of the disk is now 280 GB and secondly, I am getting an error message, NTLDR.
I have tried to find solution to this problem to no avail. I hope that someone would read this post and respond to me via my email: japarshad27@gmail.com. There must be someone who have done something just as stupid.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to make this post.
Jonestown

06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Boot into the XP CD and then press R instead of installing to go to recovery console. Log into your Windows installation and then type "fixmbr", enter, then "fixboot", enter, restart.

Paul Komski
06-09-2011, 10:29 PM
1. There has to have been at least one partition if Windows was installed.

2. If this single partition was formatted from another PC you will need to reinstall Windows and this would also explain why you are getting a NTLR is Missing (or similar) message..

3. If not all of the available space was used by the installation please state which Service Pack was included in your installation of WinXP - even though to finish up with 280 is a bit bizarre regardless of the SP.

4. Suggest that you either delete all partitions or wipe the hard drive before reinstalling Windows again. When doing so just create one partition during that part of setup and if the disk geometry seems wrong afterwards post back to these forums detailing why.