PDA

View Full Version : scvhost Processes

daftkenny
06-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Hello everyone. I have this problem with my PC. When you open task manager, there is a whole bunch of scvhost processes. I searched up to see what they were but I dont really get it.

Is there anyway to get rid of these because I think its interfering with my itunes and Winrar. Itunes keeps crashing and Winrar wont open at all. Thanks in advance.

PS. I had this problem before, but when I formatted the hard drive, its still exists.

jlreich
06-10-2011, 07:54 AM
It is normal to have many svchost processes running depending on windows version. XP may have seven or eight, but vista and 7 may have many more. I am running vista and right now I count sixteen running. It depends on what programs are running on your system. Svchost is just a system host process that other programs run off of.

Which version of windows are you running? How much ram do you have? And how much does task manager show you are using in the performance tab?

There are various malware that can run on svchost, and particularly if it is a slightly different spelling of the process such as scvhost, SVChost or any such mutations.

daftkenny
06-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Running windows 7 currently. 1gb RAM. The CPU usage caries from 1 - 10 % and Memory is around 630 mbs.

classicsoftware
06-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Running windows 7 currently. 1gb RAM. The CPU usage caries from 1 - 10 % and Memory is around 630 mbs.

Windows 7 really needs more than 1 GB of RAM.

jlreich
06-11-2011, 11:54 AM
2GB minimum. With only 1GB the system is surely going to the hard drive for virtual memory way too often severely hurting performance.

Throw another gig or so of ram in there and things should pick up noticeably.

daftkenny
06-12-2011, 03:30 AM
Okay, cool, Thanks