PDA

View Full Version : Windows install for a laptop HDD from a desktop

hack123ca
06-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I need some help, here is the background :

I have a Toshiba laptop installed with Vista. It no longer boots up. Get the windows scrolling bar for a few minutes. HDD works during this time, then HDD stops, screen goes black and nothing.
I have tried pretty much everything, Toshiba recovery disk, Vista repair CD, reseating memory and HDD.
Results remain the same. My question is this. I want to take the HDD and connect it to my desktop computer. I would like to format it and reinstall windows on it.
Can I do this given that, my desktop is on Windows 7, and I want to install Windows XP OS on the laptop HDD from my desktop.
Is this feasible and if so, are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Thanks for your help

FTT
06-10-2011, 12:12 PM
If you want to downgrade (I use this term loosely :rolleyes: ) from Vista to XP, you should first make sure that you can find all the necessary drivers for all peripherals. Sound, video, USB, NICs, so on and so forth.

What confuses me is, if you are able to boot to installation CD's & DVD's on the laptop, why it is you want to use some other computer to perform the installation? If you install from the optical drive on the laptop, during the process most of the peripherals will be recognized and the drivers will often be installed automatically. Not so if you install with another PC. Removing the hard drive and slaving it in another case or enclosure would make sense and be beneficial for backing up data you would like to keep should it become necessary to wipe the drive to start over.

If you find that you cannot acquire all of the drivers needed for an XP install and you want to repair Vista, post back and someone can assist you in doing so. By your description it sounds as if your install is repairable but you haven't found the right steps to do so as of yet.

Good luck and Welcome to the PCG! :)

hack123ca
06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
thanks for the info, good tips here.
My problem is I cannot boot off of the HDD and no matter what I put in the CD/DVD drive, (ie toshiba recovery disk, vistga repair disk, or even the Windows XP cd, nothing boots from it.

That is whY i think I need to remove hdd, then format it, but maybe after format, I can just slap it back into the laptop and try to install XP off of CD from there.

your thoughts are appreciated.

Paul Komski
06-10-2011, 09:21 PM
There are ways of setting up the hard drive so that you can install WinXP from it once you get it back into the Laptop but much more simple would be to find out why you cannot boot to any optical device (bootable CD or DVD).

Either the drive needs to be replaced (was it accessible from Windows when Windows was working) or else it is not ahead of the hard drive in the BIOS setup. Have you checked the BIOS setup to check on this or do you need help to know how to do this? What is the model of the Toshiba?

What you should not do is to install WinXP on the Desktop or any other PC and then expect it to work when you put it back in the Laptop.