PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen and boot issues on XP system

rantingraj
06-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Hi please bear with me while I describe the weird issue I am having. :) the trouble I am having is that I randomly get the blue screen of death at times stating that physical memory is being dumped and a lot of blah blah. After that when the system restarts windows wont either boot up at all giving the message that either some file like boot.ini or something else I don't remember the name of right now is missing (boot.ini I have checked and is what it should be) or the boot up process just stops up after detecting a mouse/disk etc etc and/or gives the message to insert a disk from which to boot. I have checked and there are no floppys or cds in the drives present. Sometimes the blue screen of death does not even occur. At times these issues will occur even after a normal shutdown and trying to start the system after a while.

Sometimes there's this white status bar at the bottom which quickly fills up and either asks me for XP boot options like safe mode/normally/last known configuration etc or directly boots but after that windows will take forever to boot up and its very sluggish whenever minimizing windows etc and some of the screen is gone off in the left. The graphics card I have then is not working. I have to restart the computer and then the error messages re appear. One thing that has sometimes though not always been able to fix the problem is opening the cabinet and tightening the wires connecting the hard disks with the motherboards and all the other wires. Again, this has at times fixed the problem but not always.

The pc has anyways slowed down a lot. Recently, several components like accessories/games (hearts/solitaire/system restore) from windows also suddenly disappeared. When trying to do a system restore, I got the message about a framesys.dll missing. I was able to fix that error message using a solution page on microsoft's website but trying to create a restore point still does not work as it talks about needing more permission even when I am logged in with admin privileges. This has been a problem that's come back again n again in the last 6-8 months with the pc in question. Restoring back to an earlier Norton Ghost restore point did seem to solve the issue for some time earlier and is an option now but then I will loose all of my installed programs etc because the restore point is from way back. I don't want to do that or format the hard disks if it can be avoided.

I have also run a complete virus scan using McAfee with the latest updates both in normal mode and safe mode which could be responsible for this.

One last thing I want to add is that the blue screen does not come when I am using any particular resource intensive application or game but even when I just casually surfing on the net etc.

Can anyone figure out what the problem is or what I should do?

LochLomonder
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the forum, rantingraj.

First things first: We really need to have a look at the error messages displayed with the BSoD, since this will be a key aspect in determining what may be going wrong with your system. If you look at the example I've shown below, the useful information from the BSoD would be the error message at the top of the screen, the STOP message, and also any files which may be the cause of it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/LochLomonder/Computer%20Snapshots/BSOD_Main.png

jlreich
06-22-2011, 09:59 PM
The stop error code would definitely be good to have. Pay particular attention to see if the file in the error code is the same every time or different every time.

From what you are describing I would say to run hard drive manufacturer diagnostics, then memory diagnostics (http://www.memtest86.com/download.html).

Also if you have one around try another hard drive data cable. Especially since you say it seems to fix it for awhile when you reseat the cables.

tbftb
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I had this problem... paid 40 quid to get it fixed. The BSoD returned a couple of months later. I reinstalled XP and everythings been OK for nearly two years now. tbftb