PDA

View Full Version : Computer Freezes after 4-6 hours

Reed
06-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I've been having an issue with my computer. It usually starts when I have been going for 4-6 hours, and most likely happens while I am on a web page like youtube, the temperature is almost always 42C when it freezes, when it freezes, I can move the cursor around but I cannot click on anything and the page just stays frozen and on the same part of the page for generally 10 minutes, then when it does unfreeze, the whole computer gets really slow and doesnt seem to react to me clicking on anything, like there is a delay before a new web page opens for example.

Any thoughts on trouble shooting this?

Here's my computer:
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
CPU:AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor 3.0 GHz
RAM: 2GB ( 1GB x2)
Mobo:ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Power Supply: 420w powersupply (included with case)
Number of Fans: 4
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series

classicsoftware
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Welcome tohttp://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif forums...

In order to troubleshoot this you need to fist determine if this is heat related?

Does it improve after you re-boot?

Can you open the case and have a fan blow on the case to see if time to event increases?

Are all of the case fans working?

Reed
07-03-2011, 02:25 PM
The computer works perfectly after rebooting it.

All of the computer's fans work without a problem.

I recently purchased some new/better thermal paste and applied that, it increased the time that the computer can be on without lag or freezing to 12-14 hours.

classicsoftware
07-03-2011, 02:40 PM
It's clearly a heat issue. You need to look carefully at the case to make sure you have enough cool air moving over the CPU. Make sure there are no cables or wires that impede the movement of air around the case. How large is your power supply. Is it large enough? Do you have enough case fans.

Reed
07-03-2011, 08:46 PM
The power supply as stated in the original post is 420W, I will admit that I could zip tie a few of the wires to clear it out some, which I will most likely do tomorrow. As for the fans, I have 2 80mm fans, one pulling air n on the side, and the other pushing air out on the top and a large 120mm fan in the back which pulls out I believe.

classicsoftware
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
You have a heat problem somewhere. Either the thermal paste is not on correctly, you have something impeding air flow, or you do not have sufficient cooling fans in the case. The other outside possibility is the video card is throwing off some heat. Is the fan on the video card working?

FTT
07-04-2011, 02:54 PM
The other outside possibility is the video card is throwing off some heat. Is the fan on the video card working?
Definitely a good question. Only other thing I may suggest is some other piece of hardware, either a peripheral or onboard, going 'south' and causing the freezes after it warms up and/or some component of it, such as a capacitor, failing after reaching operating temperature.

I say this because the temps mentioned are not all that dangerous, but they may be enough to cause intricate components to expand and cause gaps or open circuits, hence Windows having a 'hissy fit' and freezes a screen but not the cursor.

A barebones boot may help find the culprit but if the problem lay on the motherboard, it may be a tough find as to the source.

In a nutshell, my inclination is something in hardware.

classicsoftware
07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Definitely a good question. Only other thing I may suggest is some other piece of hardware, either a peripheral or onboard, going 'south' and causing the freezes after it warms up and/or some component of it, such as a capacitor, failing after reaching operating temperature.

I say this because the temps mentioned are not all that dangerous, but they may be enough to cause intricate components to expand and cause gaps or open circuits, hence Windows having a 'hissy fit' and freezes a screen but not the cursor.

A barebones boot may help find the culprit but if the problem lay on the motherboard, it may be a tough find as to the source.

In a nutshell, my inclination is something in hardware.

It's possible, but less likely since the artic silver reapplication improved the time to failure.

Reed
07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, thank you for the suggestions. I added another fan positioned to blow across the Graphics card. It seems to be running a tad better but any suggestions that you might still have will be greatly appreciated.

classicsoftware
07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Does it still freeze up? If so, how long is it taking now. Are the temps different?

Reed
07-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Hey, Sorry about the late reply. After installing a new fan, I have been able to run it for 12+hours. It has not frozen since the new fan.

classicsoftware
07-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Glad you solved it.... Heat was clearly the culprit.