PDA

View Full Version : Win 7: Getting "Computer" to open maximized

Fred Forsythe
06-25-2011, 05:37 AM
I've never really understood the whole concept of a "desktop". Like the computer screen and its open apps is supposed to resembled papers overlapping on a desk. I guess this was done at the time when GUI's came out because "desks and papers" is what people were used to. I've always thought it was dumb. Like MSCONFIG. You try to look at the full location of some startup item to determine what the bloody hell it is, and there's no way to make the teeny little box big enough to just SEE the location. Yeah, you can hover over it & it appears, but only for a little while! The PC decides when the box has been open long enough! Like it COSTS MORE to MAXIMIZE a window, or to leave the location on the screen for more than a few seconds! Or you can resize each item alternately (file name, etc), but THAT'S a PITA TOO!

Who determines this stuff!?!

OK, rant over! ;-) I would like the shortcut to "Computer" in the start dialog to open MAXIMIZED when I select it, but unlike a regular shortcut, you can't modify the properties to "maximize". Can this be done?

TIA

Fred

malcore
06-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Have you tried this: Open MyComputer using the shortcut you wish, maximize the window, then hold the ctrl button down while closing the window. It should open maximized now. Works in 7 for me. Although I haven't tried a reboot.

Fred Forsythe
06-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Yeah, it seems to work! Thanks!

Fred