PDA

View Full Version : editing MSDOS tooltip

Sebastian42
07-10-2011, 09:22 AM
The shortcut-to-an-MSDOS-program in the Quicklaunch Bar has its tooltip showing more than just the name. How can I edit out the unwanted part to leave only the name ?

Paul Komski
07-11-2011, 12:18 AM
When you right click the shortcut and choose properties there are a number of boxes containing different data.

Anything written in the Comment box (including just a single space) takes precedence and is shown as the tool tip text. If that box is empty then the contents of the Target box appears as the tooltip.

So write your own comment or just put in a space to take away all text.

Sebastian42
07-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Sad thing is that what you describe happens for 'normal' shortcuts, but not for those to MSDOS programs - unless I have something wrong, in which case I'd like to be shown how to do it right.

Paul Komski
07-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Sorry - had never noticed the difference until today.

What I have learned is that normal program shortcuts have the superhidden file extension .lnk and that msdos program shortcuts have the superhidden file extension .pif.

Perhaps these could be edited in either a pif or a hex editor.

Sebastian42
07-11-2011, 06:38 AM
I did a SEARCH on '*.pif' - to my surprise it yielded mainly '*.bat'; plus other items with NO extension shown, (even though I had UNticked 'Hide extensions ...' in the View tab of Folder Options). NO 'pif' were included, but a QuickLaunch shortcut to an MSDOS program was there without an extension. From its context menu, 'Open' opened the program, and 'Properties' opened the properties of the PROGRAM, rather than the properties of the SHORTCUT. So, NO apparent progress. Sorry - I overlooked your suggestion to edit in a pif editor - will try now.

Paul Komski
07-11-2011, 06:42 AM
pif files have superhidden file extensions (http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/384336-show-super-hidden-file-extensions.html)

You may also see them if you try to create a shortcut to a shortcut from a right click menu option and then browse to the folder where the first shortcut resides.

Sebastian42
07-11-2011, 06:57 AM
I cannot access a PIF Editor;

It might not be true that 'Properties' are those of the program rather than the shortcut - 'Program' is a tab in the Properties; but nowhere can I see the text [extra to the name] that displays in the tooltip.

Sebastian42
07-11-2011, 07:07 AM
<<create a shortcut to a shortcut from a right click menu option>> Dead easy.

<<then browse to the folder where the first shortcut resides>>For the purpose of Editing, I moved the shortcut to MSDOS program out of QuickLaunch onto Desktop. I created another shortcut (also on the desktop). Browsing to Desktop does not seem to create any new potential.

Sebastian42
07-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Oh joy, Oh rapture ! I downloaded the hex-editor XVI32 version 2.52, and in it could remove the unwanted text that appears in the tooltip. Thank you !