PDA

View Full Version : Repair Windows 7

PrntRhd
07-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I had a PC that would preload SP1 via Microsoft Update but not install it successfully. It had not been imaged prior to the problems that developed. I tried a MS Hotfix suggested in Windows Update and other repairs, and was not able to repair the problem.

This was a "built" PC with an OEM version Windows disk available, not a "recovery" CD/DVD. An OEM DVD or full retail DVD is required to use the following method.

I found instructions in a tutorial.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Windows 7 is different than Windows XP, you do not get the choice of Repair Console. Instead you are able to install a new copy of Windows as an Anytime Upgrade, and then discard the old installation of Windows via Disk Cleanup once you know the new installation is stable. The device drivers, themes, settings, sounds, services, and updates will go away but the programs and data on the partition are collected and and reinstalled to the new Windows installation. You are limited to 32 bit or 64 bit depending on the version already installed.

The proper Product code is required to match the PC to the Windows installation.
The Windows 7 installation has to be Activated again, and Windows Update run until all the updates are installed.

Sweet success.

Note: This is not recommended for badly infected PCs, a clean wipe may be required to assure removal of the infection.