PDA

View Full Version : memory diagnostic message

swannyj
07-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Win XP on samsung netbook
First, a little background;
After not being able to open programs and computer not responding to commands (incl end program commands) I ran avast and an infection was found. Avast deleted one file (upon reboot) and quarantined the other. Re ran avast and it indicated all was well. However problem continued and cannot open applications including avast. So don't know if virus caused the problem or not. The last thing I did was a security update for windows media player.

Rebooted in safe mode, running samsung recovery and received message "startservice failure, unable to install driver". Rebooted in save mode running windows memory diagnostic and received following;
File: \boot\memtest.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

No installation disc came with unit so I don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions appreciated. Hoping to avoid sending it to samsung as it is not under warranty. Thanks.

Paul Komski
07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
It does sound likely to be malware related. I suggest you download MalwareBytes (http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/) directly or indirectly via a USB stick on another PC and try running it in both normal mode and safe mode with networking.

A repair of XP is possible (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) if you can borrow a home or pro edition as appropriate and run the CD from an external CD drive. It should also be possible to run the repair if you can copy the i386 folder to a USB drive and then from within windows run the winnt32.exe file inside it.

Another possibility is a factory restore - commonly found on netbooks with WinXP. If there is a large hidden partition but visible in Disk Management then this is likely. Check the Samsung documentation to see if this is a possibility.

swannyj
07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks Paul. I finally succeeded in getting to the factory restore on the harddrive. . I think it is going to work now but I have to download avast and other programs again before I can really determine if I am good to go. Unfortunately, due to my bandwidth limit I need to wait until I can visit someone that has unlimited before I can reinstall and do all the updates.
Thank you for your response. I do appreciate your willingness to assist.