PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Vista to windows 7

DLeonR
07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
I guys and gals. I was trying to help my niece who is living in NY to upgrade her laptop from windows vista to windows 7. I am down in Florida and is very difficult helping her from here. She tried upgrading and I don't know what or how it happended but she managed to install the windows on her recovery drive (drive D) instead of upgrading vista. Now she can not delete windows 7 from her D:. Apparently she has to log on as admin and she don't know how to do it in vista neighter do I.
What do you guys suggest to me so I can pass on the info to her. The major problem here is that she does not know even a little about windows. I don't even know if she knows how to create a folder. Or perhaps I should tell her to just use the laptop as is until I can get a hold of it?
What I am looking for is the most simplest way to explain to her how to delete windows from her recovery drive.
Thanks in advance to your replies.

LochLomonder
07-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey DLeonR,

By default, the built-in Administrator account in both Vista and Win 7 is hidden as a security measure. To enable it, you have to click on the Windows orb and where it say Search programs and files, type in cmd. From the list of the results this produces, you'll see a program called cmd.exe. You have to right-click on this and choose Run as administrator, or this next part won't work properly. I'm assuming your niece's account has Administrative privileges, so you shouldn't be prompted for a password to run this program.

This will open a little black window known as the Command Line Interface (CLI). Once that's open, the following command needs to be typed in:

net user administrator /active:yes

Once that's typed in, hit the Enter key and you should see a message about this completing successfully. I'm assuming since this has never been activated, it won't have a password assigned to it. In order to do so, you can type in the following command:

net user Administrator password, where password will be the password of your choosing. The next part is really important: Make sure the password is kept in a safe place. I would recommend reading this page (http://ramanathan.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/create-windows-password-reset-disk/) about creating a password reset disk - just in case. Once again, ensure this is kept in a safe place. If it's lost or you cannot remember the password, no-one on the forum will be able to help you get around this.

After you've set a password for the Administrator account, log out of the machine and when you get to the login screen, you'll see an icon for accessing the Administrator account. Click on this and enter the password you just created.

Once the desktop is loaded, click on the Windows orb and where it say Search programs and files, type in disk. From the list of the results this produces, you'll see a Control Panel option entitled Create and format hard disk partitions; choose this option. Once in the Disk Management program, you can use this to delete the volume where her 'D' drive has installed Windows 7.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering how you're going to relay all of this to your niece in a way she'll understand. My advice would be to remote-connect to her PC and do these tasks for her. To achieve this, I would recommend both of you downloading an application called TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx). This is free for personal use, and will allow you to interact with her desktop. For security purposes, the program will provide a User ID and password at your niece's end. She should tell you those, and you can type them in at your end to authenticate to her machine.

I know this will likely be a lot of information to digest, so please feel free to ask any further questions and get clarification.

Paul Komski
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
If she can get on line then, I agree, Team Viewer is the way to go. If she is really PC naive then get her to download the Windows Quick Support Version, which should be a no-brainer to use.

DLeonR
07-15-2011, 11:50 AM
LochLomonder, I am sure my niece has administrative privileges, she bought the laptop brand new and it has been heres ever since. Thanks very much for the step by step in doing this. I will also do as Paul said if for some reason she can't get this going then I will have to use team viewer and try to do it from here.
Thanks guys!!!!!!