PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 release

FrankSG
07-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I want to buy a new laptop to replace my netbook. But I would like to wait until Windows 8 is released. What is your best estimate as to when MS will release it?

LochLomonder
07-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Frank,

I think it's in the pipeline for release by Dec, 2012. However, like all things, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some program slippage. To be honest, I don't think Win 8 will be a quantum leap away from Win 7 (certainly when it comes to notebooks), so I would recommend purchasing one now instead of waiting for Win 8.

07-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Microsoft says the hardware requirements of Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7.

FrankSG
07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Frank,

I think it's in the pipeline for release by Dec, 2012. However, like all things, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some program slippage. To be honest, I don't think Win 8 will be a quantum leap away from Win 7 (certainly when it comes to notebooks), so I would recommend purchasing one now instead of waiting for Win 8.

That would work out great for me because I wasn't going to buy one until the end of the year or early next year. Do you have any idea when the beta version of 8 will be out.?

Whyzman
07-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Aren't there deals that get initiated as the debut gets closer where with purchase you get an auto update to the latest and greatest?? So, you may not have to wait until Win8 is actually shipped to get onboard...

FrankSG
07-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Aren't there deals that get initiated as the debut gets closer where with purchase you get an auto update to the latest and greatest?? So, you may not have to wait until Win8 is actually shipped to get onboard...

Yes--that's how I got Windows 7. I bought my desktop at Staples just prior to 7 coming out. As soon as 7 was released they sent me the CD.

07-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Oof... Staples always has horrible prices.

FrankSG
07-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Oof... Staples always has horrible prices.

In our area they seem to be fairly competitive. They do have a lot of specials and that's usually what I wait on.

Whyzman
07-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure how early to a new release the auto upgrade deals begin to apply, but it would make sense that they'd begin for sure as soon as they know the actual release date. Even if they didn't know the actual date, any hesitancy to purchase is a marketing speed bump positioned directly in front of their cash register. Not a good thing... :D

awaj
07-24-2011, 01:10 PM
I heard that the RC will be released sometime around September, but who knows... I also heard that they won't have the RC out for that long as they aren't that interested in customer voice (as long as I don't have to reinstall everything I don't care...) I can't wait though.

jlreich
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
(as long as I don't have to reinstall everything I don't care...) I can't wait though.
With vista and 7 you had to do a fresh install once it is released. You could not do an upgrade form the RC to the full version or put in a product key. I doubt it will be any different with 8. So once it is released you will have to do a fresh install.