PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't wake up

FrankSG
07-25-2011, 04:20 PM
My computer is a Compaq Presario CQ5320F. My operating system is Win7 64 bit. This problem started about one year ago. I changed the batter on my motherboard and ever since the computer will not wakeup from sleep. I thought it has to be with the BIOS since it started when I changed batteries. I set the BIOS to the default setting but it did not solve the problem. I have since given up trying to solve it since it's not that big of a problem. But it's starting to bug me that I can't fix it, so I took another look at the setting in BIOS. I noticed that there is a setting called WoL in S5 and it's disabled. So I decided to enable it to see if it would help, but I can't change it to Enabled. When I try to change it, it will just go back to Disabled.
I did a google search and followed the instructions and did the following:
I went into device manager>Network adapter (which is NVIDA iForce 10/100 mbps Ethernet) and right-clicked Properties then clicked on the Power Management tab. I made sure there was a check mark next to: Allow computer to turn off device to save power, Allow this device to wakeup computer and Only allow a magic packet to wake computer. All were check as the instructions said. But when I go back into the BIOS, I still can't enable WoL in S5. So my two questions are: 1) Is the fact that the WoL in S5 is disabled the reason my computer will not wake up? 2) Is there a way I can enable it? Thanks for your time. ~Frank~

LochLomonder
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Frank,

Don't worry about enabling WoL, since this won't be the root of the issue. It actually stands for Wake on Lan, and allows what's called a "magic packet" to be sent to the network card to waken up the PC.

A few people utilise it for home use, but it's used more in a business environment when, say, a tech needs to work on someone's PC and it's switched off. They can send a magic packet to the PC to waken it up, and then remote-connect to it.

FrankSG
07-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Frank,

Don't worry about enabling WoL, since this won't be the root of the issue. It actually stands for Wake on Lan, and allows what's called a "magic packet" to be sent to the network card to waken up the PC.

A few people utilise it for home use, but it's used more in a business environment when, say, a tech needs to work on someone's PC and it's switched off. They can send a magic packet to the PC to waken it up, and then remote-connect to it.
OK--Thanks. That's something I didn't know. I'll stop trying to enable it.

PrntRhd
07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
There also seems to be a bug, perhaps BIOS or EFI related where Windows 7 PCs don't wake up properly from sleep mode some of the time.

Sometimes hitting the Enter key wakes it up, sometimes moving a mouse wakes it up...sometimes you have to hit the power switch and it gives you a black screen with white letters letting you know it did not power on properly, you can choose Boot Normally and it powers up just fine. It does not seem to harm the PC, but it is an annoyance.

FrankSG
07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
It does not seem to harm the PC, but it is an annoyance.

That's pretty much it in a nut-shell. It's just an annoyance. I'm just not going to worry about it anymore. There are far more important things to be concerned about in this world than your computer not waking up. I just thank God that I wake up every morning. Thanks anyway for your feedback.