PDA

View Full Version : PC will not get past welcome screen

Streetpack
08-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums. Currently I am running windows 7 64-bit on my PC and have hit a snag. Yesterday I installed a lot of updates (73) before I went to bed and today after booting up my PC I got the standard "configuring updates" screen however my pc locked up when I went to login.

On restart it will not ever get past the welcome screen. I tried chkdsk from the command prompt sfc /scannow, system restore. formatting an EMPTY partition on my hard drive and cleanly installing windows 7 with NO LUCK (maybe it technically isn't a clean installation because I have another partition?). I can't even install the OS because as soon as it needs to restart and get past that welcome screen boom roasted back to square 1.

The issue is that I want to keep all my existing files. I've had this problem before and I have only one (time consuming) solution. I run linux and manually move all my data from one partition to the other so I can format the opposite partition. It works but it takes forever.

I was wondering if there was a simple solution I overlooked? Tried google, tried the search bar in this forum with no luck. If I missed a similar thread with a solution, just kindly link me there...

Have a nice day

classicsoftware
08-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif forums.

First, can you get into safe mode?

Streetpack
08-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome message. looks like I can get into safe mode, its telling me it recovered from a BSOD error but if I restart it still won't boot on startup

Odd...the first time I had this problem I had no access to safe mode

jolly17
08-13-2011, 07:17 PM
You should figure out what that bsod error was. do you know how to do that?

Windws7 = Start > right click on Computer > Manage > click on Event Viewer. Probably some type of error in there. If there is, then Windows already knows something is wrong and has given it a number! The numbers really help in figuring out what went wrong.

Streetpack
08-13-2011, 07:57 PM
You should figure out what that bsod error was. do you know how to do that?

Windws7 = Start > right click on Computer > Manage > click on Event Viewer. Probably some type of error in there. If there is, then Windows already knows something is wrong and has given it a number! The numbers really help in figuring out what went wrong.

hmm I didn't find it there but I found it when I typed in the search bar. Anyway it said a snap shot could not be created? something about it possibly not being installed correctly. Appreciate the help thanks

jolly17
08-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey, what happened before? What problems did you have? Is your hard drive dying or something? I don't mean to scare you or anything but you have backups, right?

classicsoftware
08-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Follow the instructions here (http://www.pchell.com/support/minidumps.shtml)and post the results. You will have to boot into safe mode with networking support.

Paul Komski
08-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Yesterday I installed a lot of updates (73) before I went to bed and today after booting up my PC I got the standard "configuring updates" screen however my pc locked up when I went to login.
Since you can get into SafeMode suggest you try using System Restore and go back to before when these updates were installed.

I recently saw a similar problem under a Vista system and this happened each time the updates were allowed. I finished up stopping automatic updates and left the owner to install them manually in ones or twos until the culprit presented itself.

Streetpack
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Follow the instructions here (http://www.pchell.com/support/minidumps.shtml)and post the results. You will have to boot into safe mode with networking support.

Thank you but I'm having a bit of a problem. I need .net framework 4 (I forgot to install this after formatting last time). It won't install in safe mode ( I even got SafeMSI to try and trick windows into thinking windows installer was safe). Any workarounds for win 7 64-bit pro?

Since you can get into SafeMode suggest you try using System Restore and go back to before when these updates were installed.

I recently saw a similar problem under a Vista system and this happened each time the updates were allowed. I finished up stopping automatic updates and left the owner to install them manually in ones or twos until the culprit presented itself.

Sadly I tried system restore a couple of time to no avail...trying again

jolly17
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
When you installed these updates... did you select all of them at once?

I have seen Win7 behave poorly with updates if it has some selected for install and then you select more of them. If you just leave it alone with what it has selected, it seems to work fine.