PDA

View Full Version : Old nero burning software won't function well after upgrade to window 7

4thpc
08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
I have 4 nero disks, all oem that came with the purchase of CD or DVD burners a few (3-10) years back. The lasted supported OS is XP. So after I upgraded machines to windows 7 none of the disks works without any problem. I got warning of compatability issue while installing them on Windows 7. I was also warned while burning disk. So I guess it's unreliable and pose potential problem if I tried to use it any way. It does not make sense to buy new burners (some pretty inexpensive at $20-30 range) in order to have the latest burning software with them because my burners work perfectly. Stand alone nero software costs like $50 or more. How do you guys solve this issue without spending more $? Can we get update from nero? Thanks.

mjc
08-17-2011, 03:52 PM
In Windows, I generally use...

http://cdburnerxp.se/

shanebishop
08-17-2011, 11:51 PM
As a general rule, always update your software after changing your OS. Some programs won't work in Windows 7 even if you run them in compatibility mode.

PrntRhd
08-18-2011, 12:41 AM
I am not certain what the EULA for the old disks specify about using the software on PCs without the drives they were originally bundled with. I would suspect that use would not be allowed by the EULA.

4thpc
08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I bought the burner and installed on old OS such as 2000 and XP. Now I upgraded to windows 7. Regardless of the EULA, I still should have license to to use the drive. The problem is the newer OS was not existing back then and the software had no way to support future OS. I will ask nero if old burner buyers can get update on the nero oem software to suppor new OS.

PrntRhd
08-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Good explanation, I was simply making certain the software disk still matched the drive.

4thpc
08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Found the official anouncement from Nero.

The following Nero products are compatible with Windows 7:

Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD
Nero Multimedia Suite 10
Nero Kwik Media
Nero Video Premium HD
Nero Vision Xtra
Nero BurningROM
Nero BackItUp & Burn (as of version 1.2.17)
Nero MediaHome 4
Nero BurnExpress
Nero 9 (as of version 9.4.26.0)

Sadly we have to inform you that any Version of Nero prior to Nero 9 will not officially be supported with Windows® 7.

mjc
08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
I doubt that you will get an upgrade, simply because drives aren't supposed to last longer than it takes for the next version of Windows to hit the shelves.

Go with the CDBurnerXP...it does everything Nero does, has Lightscribe integration, now and is much, much cheaper (plus it relies on Windows ports of some very well known, well established Open Source libraries).

08-18-2011, 10:42 PM
CDBurner XP is reliable and powerful. Best of all, it's free.

4thpc
11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I downloaded CDBurner XP and installed it, the right version for windows 7 64 bit. It's extrememly slow, taking nearly half of an hour to copy a music CD and losing the artists and album info. My PC is with very good configuration, i7 950 and 24 GB RAM.

mjc
11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Hmmm...

Do you have .Net 3.5 or higher installed? (3.0 is the 'base' version for W7)

Have you tried burning from the command line?

Lightscribe software, if you have a Lightscribe enabled drive?

Those are things I can think of that could slow things down...as to the info getting lost, I've got no clue what could cause that. But then again, I've not used it for a couple of years, so it may be something that Vista/W7 have caused/permissions/DRM related.