PDA

View Full Version : what to do . . .?

Manster
08-23-2011, 05:56 PM
after running the free antispyware, my vista machine has not opened many programs on reboot (skype, sidebar, etc.) also asks in a popup what program to open many other programs. wot hoppened? thanks in advance . . .

LochLomonder
08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Which "free antispyware" program did you run? I think you really should be aware of running things if you're not really sure what they'll do to your system.

Manster
08-23-2011, 06:05 PM
so, i'm just getting a warning and no advice??? sheesh

LochLomonder
08-23-2011, 06:19 PM
No, it's not a warning, so don't throw your teddy out of the cot. I asked you which "free antispyware" program you ran, since it's absolutely impossible to give you considered advice when you haven't really described what you did in the first place.

Are you worried your system was infected and that's why you ran the program, or were you just running it to see if there was anything on your system.

Manster
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
system was not infected, just ran superantispyware to check what was there.

LochLomonder
08-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Okie doke...we're getting somewhere. I'm sorry for being snarky - it's just that I find sometimes it's hard to pull information out of someone so we can help them more effectively.

First things first: I would recommend you try a System Restore to see if that will get things back on an even keel. If you're using Windows 7, click on the orb and where it says Search programs and files, type in System Restore and hit the Enter key.

If you're using XP, click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then System Restore.

Once in either of these, try to find a viable restore point from as recently as possible, and use that to try and restore everything to the way it was before running SuperAntiSpyware.

Manster
08-23-2011, 06:37 PM
am running vista. had tried that. appears all .exe files opening get a popup asking what file they need to open. where would rsrui.exe be found?

LochLomonder
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I think it's rstrui.exe, which is the System Restore program. You can restore the correct settings in Vista, but it gets a bit fiddly.

If you look at this page (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/233243-default-file-type-associations-restore.html), it shows how you can download Registry keys which will do this job for you. You just have to follow it very carefully.

I would advise you to download the exe one and run that. At least it'll allow you to run programs. That way, you can then try running a System Restore to get everything back as it should be.

Manster
08-23-2011, 07:05 PM
apparently my corel program is still associated with the .exe. it opens when the default exe is opened from the desktop. tried the reg option also witht he same result. am doin my own tinkering that has gotten me to the same place you have suggested. thanks again so far

Manster
08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
for the record, downloading the exe registry add did not immediately work. clicking resulted in 'file not found,' despite finding it in the right place. then downloaded the zip registry add, which cleared up the problem. interesting, because zip files have always been able to open. haven't gone to the system restore yet, but surely it will fix the issue. thanks again for the assist!

LochLomonder
08-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm glad to see you're making progress, and I'll keep my fingers crossed the System Restore will work for you. If not, don't panic - there's more than one way to skin a cat.