PDA

View Full Version : Error and warning message in Event Viewer

Believe_you
08-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Hi

I received a called from a company call "Ammyy" base in Florida and said my computer has been corrupted. The reason they call was "my computer send them data (I did not send any error message out) and show that my computer is infected with virus. He then show me how to check: Start/my computer/(right click) manage/event viewer/application. He asked me to look at the right hand side and they are many (Red) Error and (yellow) warning message. He asked me to download software from www.ammyy.com and then he will guide me step by step to resolve the problem but I need to let them remote login to my computer. He also said "he is from support goup and they have contract with Microsoft to do trouble shooting for Microsoft customer". They have my name, my address and telephone number.

Can you advice is this company genuine?

How can I recover the problems: Error and Warning as indicated in the Event Viewer panel"

Appreciate your help.

Regards

LochLomonder
08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Do not - I repeat - do NOT entertain anything whatsoever to do with this company. It's a complete and utter scam, and this can be corroborated if you did a Google search on "Ammyy scam".

Paul Komski
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM
They have my name, my address and telephone number. They have mine as well and I know where they got them from. The telephone book was the source because I am not ex-directory. I have had about four such attempts to scam me but immediately recognised the calls for what they were. Many however are more gullible.

Yes it's a scam and an increasingly common one. The event viewer will always have those sort of warnings but if your machine is working well you don't have to worry about them.

I find that these cold telephone callers give up if they realise you are a little bit knowledgeable. They won't, for example, be able to tell you what IP address your supposed viral email came from nor do they like it if you ask them if they work for Microsoft (in my experience they say they are from "Technical Support") or if you ask them what firm technical support they work for. If the calls have a caller ID you will find out it is bogus if you try to ring them back. Nor should be able to con you into believing that the eMail gave them your personal details. There was no email in the first place.

Basically have an extremely high index of suspicion if you ever get "cold called" by anyone. If they came to your doorstep would you let them in and control your computer. I doubt it - so why any different with a telephone call.

Pass on the word that these are scams. If you did let them in consider letting your credit card company know it may have been compromised. Etc, etc.

Sylvander
08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I NEVER have any such calls...

Because I have an answerphone...

And we NEVER answer ANY call...

Unless the person calling first identifies themselves.

All family and friends know this, and routinely identify themselves knowing that if anyone is available their call will be IMMEDIATELY answered.

Otherwise there's no-one at home.

It's quite satisfying that cold-callers just hang up. :) :cool:

Non-family legitimate business callers will begin leaving a message.
If anyone is there, such calls will be answered...
Otherwise, their call and message can be replied-to later.

Believe_you
08-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the confirmation. Fortunately I did not download the software.

I have one question. I have problem watching moves or youtube in my computer. The moves seems to delay a few second and then play again. This happen all the time. The same moves play on other computer seems does have this problem. I can't not understand.

Your help are much appreciate.

Thanks

Paul Komski
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Because I have an answerphone...
Good for you. It is one approach but not tenable with my own business.

I have one question. I have problem watching moves or youtube in my computer. The moves seems to delay a few second and then play again. This happen all the time. The same moves play on other computer seems does have this problem. I can't not understand.
This buffering occurs when the download is slower than your connection speed. It can be mitigated if you can upgrade your internet. Alternatively go away while the whole video is downoaded and re-run it. It should then run through without stopping.

Believe_you
08-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi Paul

thank you for you advice.