PDA

View Full Version : windows vista

jogartrago
09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Trouble with windows vista home premium loading on HP PC

classicsoftware
09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
You have not provided nearly enough information to help us solve this problem.

jogartrago
09-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Recently, when I tried to log on I got blank (dark) screen. Waiting did not bring resolution. Could not shut down via normal procedures. Had to remove power cord from outlet to shut down. When I replaced power cord in outlet the system came alive and went thru a self-repair procedure which seemed to correct the problem as I enjoyed a typical session which I ended by logging off & shutting down. Nex time I tried to log on the problem repeated itself and corrected itself by my going thru the same procedure as described above. A recent scan for malware was negative. I'm currently not shutting down after a session. Rather I put my system into a sleep mode and that works OK. I'd still like to know why my system misbehaved. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. The system is slightly older than 3 years.

classicsoftware
09-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Is this a desktop or a laptop. Two things come to mind right away. This is either a problem with the power supply or the hard drive. Please test the had drive with the manufacturers utilities which can be downloaded from their website.

Sylvander
09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
1. Typically...
There would be an improper power-off...
Which probably corrupts the Windows partition_file_system.

2. So Windows is designed to scan [at the next attempt to boot], and scan and attempt to fix...
The partition_file_system.

3. And it may appear to succeed, since Windows then succeeds in getting to the desktop.

4. But there may be lost [fragments or complete?] folders/files.
In which case, if those fragments or folders/files belong to Windows...
Then Windows won't be working quite so well/completely/orderly as before.

5. It may not be shutting down correctly, and Windows may detect this, and auto-run a scan [and attempt yet another fix] at the next boot.
But things can only go into a downward spiral of increasing chaos/corruption.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the above circumstances, a fix might be to:
6. BEST to restore an image backup of the contents of the Windows partition.
Or, not quite so good...

7. Do a non-destructive re-install.
[After fixing the partition (ideally using some program run from outside of the corrupted Windows)]
I believe you can fool Win7 into thinking you want to do an update, but instead re-install Win7.

Sylvander
09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall (http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/).

jogartrago
09-05-2011, 03:12 PM
My OS is windows vista, not 7. Now that you know that what do you suggest. Keep in mind that you need to reply in simple terms. I can do stuff but need to be walked thru solutions slowly & simply. Thanks in any case.

jogartrago
09-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Is this a desktop or a laptop. Two things come to mind right away. This is either a problem with the power supply or the hard drive. Please test the had drive with the manufacturers utilities which can be downloaded from their website.

The rig is a desktop. I'll go to HP and look for utilities. Thanks for responding

jogartrago
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
1. Typically...
There would be an improper power-off...
Which probably corrupts the Windows partition_file_system.

2. So Windows is designed to scan [at the next attempt to boot], and scan and attempt to fix...
The partition_file_system.

3. And it may appear to succeed, since Windows then succeeds in getting to the desktop.

4. But there may be lost [fragments or complete?] folders/files.
In which case, if those fragments or folders/files belong to Windows...
Then Windows won't be working quite so well/completely/orderly as before.

5. It may not be shutting down correctly, and Windows may detect this, and auto-run a scan [and attempt yet another fix] at the next boot.
But things can only go into a downward spiral of increasing chaos/corruption.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the above circumstances, a fix might be to:
6. BEST to restore an image backup of the contents of the Windows partition.
Or, not quite so good...

7. Do a non-destructive re-install.
[After fixing the partition (ideally using some program run from outside of the corrupted Windows)]
I believe you can fool Win7 into thinking you want to do an update, but instead re-install Win7.

How do i do restore an image backup of the contents of the Windows partition? Sounds complicated-----and scary.

classicsoftware
09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Let's determine the problem before we get to the solution. Test the hard drive first. You need to determine the manufacturer of the hard drive

Paul Komski
09-06-2011, 03:17 AM
If you do turn off for any reason and get the various repair options shown to you (or if you press F8 during a restart in order to get them deliberately) it can be often be worth selecting the choice "Last Known Good" configuration in order to restore a corrupt registry (if that is what was causing the problems in booting normally). Another similar approach is to choose "Safe Mode" and to then run a system restore to a point before you began to have problems.

Bad hardware, as mentioned already, can also be at the root of things of course.

Sylvander
09-06-2011, 04:46 AM
1. "Let's determine the problem before we get to the solution. Test the hard drive first."
Prudent, to to 1st do such a check.

2. "How do i do restore an image backup of the contents of the Windows partition?"
(a) Do you have an image backup?
If not, there's no point giving instructions on how to restore...
Which would in any case be determined by the program/method used to make the image, and the image filetype to be restored.

(b) If I were you, I'd learn how to make image backups, and begin making them when the time is right.

3. "Sounds complicated-----and scary."
Like most things, it's easy when you know how...
And isn't [and is scary to contemplate] when you don't.

4. "Another similar approach is to choose "Safe Mode" and to then run a system restore to a point before you began to have problems."
(a) Isn't this Windows installation suspect?
Even Safe Mode?
Can it be trusted to function well enough to do the job properly?
Hence...

(b) I'd be inclined to use [something like]...
The facility included in "FalcanFour's UBCD"...
That will run a restore point of a Windows installation, from outside of it.
In this case it isn't using a suspect OS to do the work.

(c) Don't know if (b) above will run a VISTA restore point [it does XP I believe].
You might check it out and see.

jogartrago
09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
1. "Let's determine the problem before we get to the solution. Test the hard drive first."
Prudent, to to 1st do such a check.

2. "How do i do restore an image backup of the contents of the Windows partition?"
(a) Do you have an image backup?
If not, there's no point giving instructions on how to restore...
Which would in any case be determined by the program/method used to make the image, and the image filetype to be restored.

(b) If I were you, I'd learn how to make image backups, and begin making them when the time is right.

3. "Sounds complicated-----and scary."
Like most things, it's easy when you know how...
And isn't [and is scary to contemplate] when you don't.

4. "Another similar approach is to choose "Safe Mode" and to then run a system restore to a point before you began to have problems."
(a) Isn't this Windows installation suspect?
Even Safe Mode?
Can it be trusted to function well enough to do the job properly?
Hence...

(b) I'd be inclined to use [something like]...
The facility included in "FalcanFour's UBCD"...
That will run a restore point of a Windows installation, from outside of it.
In this case it isn't using a suspect OS to do the work.

(c) Don't know if (b) above will run a VISTA restore point [it does XP I believe].
You might check it out and see.

1. Test hard drive:
To do this I need to shut down computer and I lack confidence that it will restart.
2. Image backups:
Beyond my technical capability
3. Falcon Four UBCD:
Why would I want to invest in something that may not work?
4. Problem resolution, seems to me, needs paid professional help. Will do this if system becomes totally inoperable or may invest in new rig.
5.Thanks anyway for your interest & suggestions.

Sylvander
09-06-2011, 10:30 AM
1. "To do this I need to shut down computer and I lack confidence that it will restart."
(a) You mean you think Vista may not reboot right?
Must the OS be Vista?
If so, why?

(b) If I had your PC rig here...
I'd pop one of my Puppy Linux disks in the optical drive, and be working in say "Midnightsun-003-Tmix" in the 2 minutes it takes to load it.
I could then take my time to fix Vista, if I wanted to bother doing it.

2. "Why would I want to invest in something that may not work?"
(a) What investment? Time? Effort? It comes for FREE.
Be positive; think of it as an OPPORTUNITY to learn.

3. "needs paid professional help"
(a) My son had a laptop with an XP installation that wouldn't boot.
He was talking about replacing the mobo.

(b) I asked him to give it to me, and I see what I could do.

(c) I bought him a new power-unit from Amazon [all of 14]...
Used "Puppy_Linux->GParted" to "check" the NTFS partition_file_system [PFS]; it reported lots of problems that it couldn't fix.
Used "FalconFour's_UBCD->Disk_check", and it succeeded in fixing the PFS.
Then XP booted up as nice as we could wish. :) :cool:

Paul Komski
09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
When someone posts something like the following it is surely best to try to KISS and not go off with geekish suggestions.

My OS is windows vista, not 7. Now that you know that what do you suggest. Keep in mind that you need to reply in simple terms. I can do stuff but need to be walked thru solutions slowly & simply. Thanks in any case.

This installation of Vista is functional but freezing on boot-up; a freeze that the Vista repair processes seem capable of fixing. Such freezing on boot-up could be due to a faulty hard drive though I personally think this is unlikely. More likely is that either the registry has been corrupted or some recently installed hardware or software (including Windows updates) have caused this freeze to occur.

I believe it is likely that the system can, given a real chance, repair itself but that entails shutting down and restarting is either Safe Mode or to use the option of Last Known Good configurations.

There may also, depending on whether there is a recovery partition present, be other repair options. Since these are the standard way to repair a faulty Vista startup I would only reiterate trying them out. On a reboot the way to get these options is to keep pressing and releasing the F8 key.

Here are two Microsoft Links that explain it all more elaborately:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

jogartrago
09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for responding. if things get worse i'll try some of the stuff that you & others suggested. right now i'm just letting the system go to sleep after a working session. That lets me get started sooner the next time as all the programs don't have to load when i want to do some browsing or other computer work. I guess I'm not as adventuresome as i once was.

have a good day 7 thanx again.

jogartrago
09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
1. "To do this I need to shut down computer and I lack confidence that it will restart."
(a) You mean you think Vista may not reboot right?
Must the OS be Vista?
If so, why?

(b) If I had your PC rig here...
I'd pop one of my Puppy Linux disks in the optical drive, and be working in say "Midnightsun-003-Tmix" in the 2 minutes it takes to load it.
I could then take my time to fix Vista, if I wanted to bother doing it.

2. "Why would I want to invest in something that may not work?"
(a) What investment? Time? Effort? It comes for FREE.
Be positive; think of it as an OPPORTUNITY to learn.

3. "needs paid professional help"
(a) My son had a laptop with an XP installation that wouldn't boot.
He was talking about replacing the mobo.

(b) I asked him to give it to me, and I see what I could do.

(c) I bought him a new power-unit from Amazon [all of 14]...
Used "Puppy_Linux->GParted" to "check" the NTFS partition_file_system [PFS]; it reported lots of problems that it couldn't fix.
Used "FalconFour's_UBCD->Disk_check", and it succeeded in fixing the PFS.
Then XP booted up as nice as we could wish. :) :cool:

Sir: Seems to me I worked w/ you a few years back w/ positive results.
You challenge me & despite my being on this planet for 80 years I still enjoy a challenge. Accordingly, I think Vista may not correctly reboot. It is the only OS I have installed. If I can repair it w/o cost why would I want to invest in another.
Qustion: Can Falcon Four Ultimate Boot CD be purchased.? Can the contents thereof be downloaded cost free?
Unfortunately, I have no living father hence I have to face everyday's problems alone.
I have no Puppy Linux discs.

What do advise?

Sylvander
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
1. "I think Vista may not correctly reboot. It is the only OS I have installed."
I think "I understand where you're coming from".
You figure that if you just keep Vista running, you won't need to risk the possibility of being unable to re-load it.
I wouldn't want to live like that; how about you?

2. "If I can repair it w/o cost why would I want to invest in another."
Don't "put all your eggs in 1 basket".
Give yourself alternatives.
You can then choose which to use for any particular task you have in mind.
I've tried the small, fast, FREE Puppy_Linux as an alternative, and I like it better than my Win2000Pro.
I have 6 Puppies available right now, but on the odd occasion choose to use 2000Pro for some particular task to which it is best suited.
I can use a Puppy to scan and clean the dormant Win2000Pro of infection..
[It never gets infected because I deliberately use Puppy for the risky stuff, because Puppy NEVER gets infected]
And/or use GParted to scan & fix the Win2000Pro partition_file_system. [What you may need to do]

3. "Can the contents thereof be downloaded cost free?"
YES....
See it here and download it (http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/falconfours-ultimate-boot-cdusb-4-5/), and burn the ISO image to CD [RW?]

4. "I have no Puppy Linux discs"
(a) Here's the Lupu-528 thread. (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855) [Lucid Puppy 5.2.8]
And...
Here's the lupu-528.iso file. (http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.iso)
md5sum = f04ec9ef3540be8e50d0a24c512e1309 lupu-528.iso
I've never yet found a download to be bad, so it isn't strictly necessary to check the md5sum.
You just download the ISO on any handy PC, then burn it as an iso image.
Do you know how to do that?
I prefer to burn them to CD-RW disks.
[This is really easy to do in any Puppy, but for now you'll need to use Vista]

(b) You can then boot the CD on any handy PC...
You might initially choose to NOT shut down your PC running Vista, so use some other PC [if available] until you can see it running and feel OK with it..
And at 1st shut-down, make a [1GB?] non-encrypted pupsave file [named "lupusave"in Lupu] in any handy storage location...
A Flash drive would be good.
The [1GB+] partition on it can be formatted with pretty much any filesystem you fancy; I would favor ext3.
This can be done using "Menu->System->GParted" once booted into Puppy for the 1st time.
Once you become familiar with Puppy and are ready to shut down your Vista PC...
You just connect the USB Flash Drive to it...
Put the Puppy disk in the optical drive and close the drawer...
And reboot.
[All will be well provided the BIOS boot menu has the optical drive set to boot before the internal HDD]
The Puppy will seek and find its pupsave file, and automatically use it.
Later, you might choose to copy the pupsave to [a folder, ideally as high up the folder system as possible, on] any handy partition on the internal HDD [faster than a Flash Drive].
Puppy is pretty much capable of booting on ANY PC...
[The few exceptions prove the general rule, and there is always SOME Puppy that will work on one of those few]
And you can make a pupsave on one PC, yet use it on any other.
The Puppy detects the different hardware, and if necessary, prompts you to make 1 or more configuration changes to suit [e.g. screen size].
This is saved in the pupsave file, so at next boot it's already set up to work with that hardware.

jogartrago
09-08-2011, 09:20 AM
1. "I think Vista may not correctly reboot. It is the only OS I have installed."
I think "I understand where you're coming from".
You figure that if you just keep Vista running, you won't need to risk the possibility of being unable to re-load it.
I wouldn't want to live like that; how about you?

2. "If I can repair it w/o cost why would I want to invest in another."
Don't "put all your eggs in 1 basket".
Give yourself alternatives.
You can then choose which to use for any particular task you have in mind.
I've tried the small, fast, FREE Puppy_Linux as an alternative, and I like it better than my Win2000Pro.
I have 6 Puppies available right now, but on the odd occasion choose to use 2000Pro for some particular task to which it is best suited.
I can use a Puppy to scan and clean the dormant Win2000Pro of infection..
[It never gets infected because I deliberately use Puppy for the risky stuff, because Puppy NEVER gets infected]
And/or use GParted to scan & fix the Win2000Pro partition_file_system. [What you may need to do]

3. "Can the contents thereof be downloaded cost free?"
YES....
See it here and download it (http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/falconfours-ultimate-boot-cdusb-4-5/), and burn the ISO image to CD [RW?]

4. "I have no Puppy Linux discs"
(a) Here's the Lupu-528 thread. (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855) [Lucid Puppy 5.2.8]
And...
Here's the lupu-528.iso file. (http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.iso)
md5sum = f04ec9ef3540be8e50d0a24c512e1309 lupu-528.iso
I've never yet found a download to be bad, so it isn't strictly necessary to check the md5sum.
You just download the ISO on any handy PC, then burn it as an iso image.
Do you know how to do that?
I prefer to burn them to CD-RW disks.
[This is really easy to do in any Puppy, but for now you'll need to use Vista]

(b) You can then boot the CD on any handy PC...
You might initially choose to NOT shut down your PC running Vista, so use some other PC [if available] until you can see it running and feel OK with it..
And at 1st shut-down, make a [1GB?] non-encrypted pupsave file [named "lupusave"in Lupu] in any handy storage location...
A Flash drive would be good.
The [1GB+] partition on it can be formatted with pretty much any filesystem you fancy; I would favor ext3.
This can be done using "Menu->System->GParted" once booted into Puppy for the 1st time.
Once you become familiar with Puppy and are ready to shut down your Vista PC...
You just connect the USB Flash Drive to it...
Put the Puppy disk in the optical drive and close the drawer...
And reboot.
[All will be well provided the BIOS boot menu has the optical drive set to boot before the internal HDD]
The Puppy will seek and find its pupsave file, and automatically use it.
Later, you might choose to copy the pupsave to [a folder, ideally as high up the folder system as possible, on] any handy partition on the internal HDD [faster than a Flash Drive].
Puppy is pretty much capable of booting on ANY PC...
[The few exceptions prove the general rule, and there is always SOME Puppy that will work on one of those few]
And you can make a pupsave on one PC, yet use it on any other.
The Puppy detects the different hardware, and if necessary, prompts you to make 1 or more configuration changes to suit [e.g. screen size].
This is saved in the pupsave file, so at next boot it's already set up to work with that hardware.

1. I downloaded the falcon 4 UBCD successfully but I was unable to open it. I received an error message that I didn't have the needed software on my computer to open the file. Any suggestions?
2. If I install a second OS into my system, how do I go about selecting which to use.

Sylvander
09-08-2011, 10:02 AM
1. "I downloaded the falcon 4 UBCD successfully but I was unable to open it."
(a) What was the file [name and extension] you downloaded?
Was it a torrent file or an ISO file?

(b) If it was a torrent file...
I think you need a torrent download program to work with that.
But if you have a fast internet connection, there's no need to use a torrent file, just download the ISO file directly.

(c) If it was an ISO file you downloaded, then you shouldn't attempt to "Open" it you should use an Image burning program like Imgburn to burn the ISO Image to a CD-RW.
Have you ever burned an ISO image to an optical disk?

2. "If I install a second OS into my system, how do I go about selecting which to use"
(a) You should NOT install Puppy_Linux into your system.
That's beauty of Puppy.
It loads from the CD [that you make using the ISO file].
And after you have run it [on ANY PC hardware you care to try]..
And closed it down...
It will be like it had never been run on that hardware.
It leaves no trace behind...
[If you made the pupsave on an external storage device, and remove that device after shut-down].
Doesn't interfere with Windows or any other OS on any other storage device.
Doesn't meddle with the MBR.

(b) You choose to boot a Puppy...
By placing the Puppy CD into the drawer of the optical drive...
Prior to booting the PC.
IF your BIOS is configured to boot optical disks prior to the internal HDD...
The Puppy CD will load its OS...
And Windows [residing on the internal HDD] will not boot.

(c) To boot Windows [when running in Puppy]...
You simply remove the Puppy CD...
And REBOOT the PC.

(d) To boot the Puppy disk [when running in Windows]...
You simply put the Puppy disk in the optical drive and close the drawer...
And REBOOT.

jogartrago
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm all worked up now. Things I think, are progressing. I went back to my falcon 4 download found that for some reason I could now open w/ internet explorer. Opening file showed a lot of what looked like gibberish to me. In any case, I burned the file to a CD_R (I think).
What do you suggest I do now.

Thanks for your patience & understanding. It is just that I'm fearful of getting into a situation where I won't have an operable system.

Sylvander
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
1. As I asked previously:
"What was the file [name and extension] you downloaded?"

You really need to answer such questions, otherwise how am I to help?

jogartrago
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I downloaded the torrent file which I was unable to open at first but was later sucessful in getting it down. I think what opened was an iso file which i alrady have burned to a disc. I'm evading your question about file name & extension because I don't know what it is where to find that info. All I can tell you is that i downloaded the Falcon 4 UBCD via torrent. Please advise. thanks.

Sylvander
09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
1. I just downloaded the F4UBCD-4.5.ISO [plus 4 other un-needed files, all in a folder] using the torrent file.
[See the screenshot below]

(a) It's 693.5MB in size.
Assuming this is the file you have and used...
To burn its ISO IMAGE to a "disk"...
Is that a DVD or CD, recordable or re-writable or what?
You seem to be keeping me as much in the dark as is possible!

(b) Did you burn your copy AS AN IMAGE?

(c) Assuming you did...
Then to see what that looks like...
You just boot that on any handy PC...
Other than your own...
[Because you don't want to shut down your Vista]

jogartrago
09-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Sir: Believe me, I have no motive(s) (sinister or otherwise) for not providing you info. Most times I have no idea what you want me to supply. I'm hardly expert in the workings of computers and their components and the terminology that goes with them. In one of my posts I explained to you that I burned what I thought what was an ISO image onto a CD-R (repeat CD-R) disk. I could send to you a screen shot of that image but don't know how to attach it to these posts. Finally I am unable to open the attached images you sent me. Can you guide me in doing that. Thanks for responding.

Sylvander
09-09-2011, 11:07 AM
1. "Believe me, I have no motive(s) (sinister or otherwise) for not providing you info"
OK, just do your best to answer the questions asked. :)

2. "In one of my posts I explained to you that I burned what I thought what was an ISO image onto a CD-R (repeat CD-R) disk."
OK, I see that now, I lose track of all the various info supplied at different times. :o

3. "I am unable to open the attached images you sent me. Can you guide me in doing that."
The VISUAL image [like a small photo] that I uploaded and you can look at in post #24 [see the number of each post at top right of each post]...
Cannot be "Opened" by anyone.
It's simply a small view of part of my screen, when Xfe is displaying the contents of the folder to which I downloaded the FalconFour's_UBCD ISO file and it's companions.
I wanted you to see [at least a small part of] what I can see here.
It lets you see the name of the ISO file I downloaded, and would use to burn a CD.

jogartrago
09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
So where do we stand? I asked if you wanted a screen shot of the gibberish I downloaded from Falcon. Perhaps by looking at that you can tell if what I
have on my CD-R is of an value. If you want to go in that direction you will have to tell me how I can attach a screen shot to one of these posts. Alternatively, I could attach the screen shot to an E-mail to you but lack your e-mail address which for some good reason(s) you might not wish to share w/ me. Thanks for responding.

Sylvander
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
1. You say you've already burned the FalconFour ISO file to CD.

2. The simplest way to see if what you have on your CD is of value...
Is to try to boot the CD.
(a) If it works, the question is answered in the affirmative.
(b) If it doesn't work, then we need to try to find out what went wrong.

jogartrago
09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
If I understand what you advise is to shut down and to try to reboot w/ CD. I am loathe to shutting down for reasons earlier explained. I may try the CD on a relatives PC.

Sylvander
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I most definitely did NOT and do NOT advise you to shut down the PC on which you have Vista running.
Because you have made it clear that you don't want to do that...

So I said in post #24:
"You just boot that on any handy PC...
Other than your own...
[Because you don't want to shut down your Vista]"

Paul Komski
09-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Unless requested I am out of this thread and unsubscribed from it.

At some point in time this system will have to be rebooted; by accident, by windows or by design. At that point a number of options are open.

As long as any important data has been backed-up in the interim any number of repairs or installations of Windows or Linux can be attempted. If boot-up to Win7 cannot be repaired I personally would favour a brand new clean installation of an Operating System of your choice - and onto a new hard drive if the current one proves problematic.

The Windows program's Error Scan in HDTune (http://www.hdtune.com/download.html) (though not as reliable as the HDD manufacturers own utility) can give you a good indication if the hard drive is damaged.

jogartrago
09-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Windows shut automatically after installing 12 new updates. A subsequent "boot up" was without problem. Earlier discussed problem as of this writing seems to have resolved itself w/o any arcane, outside manual in-tervention. Thanks for your interest.

jogartrago
09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I most definitely did NOT and do NOT advise you to shut down the PC on which you have Vista running.
Because you have made it clear that you don't want to do that...

So I said in post #24:
"You just boot that on any handy PC...
Other than your own...
[Because you don't want to shut down your Vista]"

Yesterday windows automatically installed 12 updates and completely shut down system at the conclusion of that operation. I was able to boot up my rig this AM w/o adverse incident. Boot up problem at the moment seems to have resolved itself w/o any manual arcane outside intervention. Thanx for you interest and earlier responses.

mjc
09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm willing to bet that one of those 12 updates fixed whatever was causing the problem...in which case, we may never know exactly what it was.

azzey
09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
You may wish to try a cold boot (turn the machine off, let it sit for a few seconds, turn it back on) and see if it boots properly still. If that is the case then your issue may be resolved.

jogartrago
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm willing to bet that one of those 12 updates fixed whatever was causing the problem...in which case, we may never know exactly what it was.

I'd like to think its fixed and would have liked to know what the problem was. But for now I'm happy.:) Thanx for your encouraging response.

jogartrago
09-16-2011, 11:09 AM
You may wish to try a cold boot (turn the machine off, let it sit for a few seconds, turn it back on) and see if it boots properly still. If that is the case then your issue may be resolved.

I'm "chicken". I'll let it turn itself off after next update and go from there. Thanks for your response and/or interest.