PDA

View Full Version : How to protect Memory Stick, HDD ?

adindas
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi guys
I have a problem and hope you can help. I have a memory stick and HDD which I carry it all the time and some of the data are quite sensitive. Also sometimes I left my memeory stick/HDD on my computer at work.

Is there any way how to protect it so only me could access the data. I mean here such as like password to open the drive, folder, etc whihc is already availbale at WIndows operating system (??).

I am aware that encryption technolgy is the best way to go but in case I believe password might do the job.

I am working on several windows OS e.g. XP and Windows 7, so I am expecting that I do not have a problem by myself when I am working on different computer at work, home internet cafe, etc. For that reason, why I think encryption may cause a problem in my case due to incompatibity in different operating system.

In my work place I do not have admin right to install the program and I am not allowed to install other software other thatn those already available in my computer at the work place. Certainly, I will be able to install those program on my PC and Laptop computer at home.

I have been told that there are various software available for free to download, so I am not preparing to buy any software.
Is there any way for you guys to help me with solution

Thank you for your time

onlynillawafers
09-07-2011, 06:05 AM
I think this is what you're looking for: TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/)
Hope that helps.