PDA

View Full Version : my new computer geek lab

jes
09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I got a copy of Windows Server 08 from a local tech school so I thought that I would create a computer geek lab in my home. My intentions, so far, are to run a 64 bit 2008 server and one client (XP to hopefully be upgraded to 7). My question is about Server 2008 Standard. It refuses to recognize the NIC on that system. The NIC is on-board. I remember hearing stories about those not being recognized by some operating systems. I know that it works because before 10:00 this morning it was operating with Windows 7. I am just wondering if there is something that I have missed. All I have done is wipe 7 and install 08.

LochLomonder
09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
What's the make and model of your motherboard? I know, for instance, Intel don't offer Win Server 2008 drivers for desktop motherboards, and this may be the cause of the issue.

jes
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
In my frustration I have formatted and put Windows 7 back on the PC. I have been offered another PC and I will put Server 2008 on it instead. I fear that this might have opened another can of worms with 7. It won't read my USB HD or my on-board camera card readers but I am still testing possible solutions that I have found on Google.

Thanks for the reply and I will remember your advice if I have the same problem on this next PC.