PDA

View Full Version : Max File

Cuc Tu
09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm collecting a large number (100k) of jpg files in one folder in an external SATA USB drive. This seems to slow file browsing operations (i.e., simply opening the folder in Explorer takes about a full minute - view set to Details).

Maybe it is my PC or will there be a problem doing this?

I ask because I know very long path and file names cause a problem.

mjc
09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
It's the thumbnail previews...Explorer is creating a new one each time you open the folder. It's best to turn off that feature (not sure what version of Windows you are running...but here's for XP http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-turn-off-image-preview-thumbnail-and-disable-windows-picture-and-fax-viewer-in-windows-xp/)

There's also a way to increase the size of the thumbnail cache...which should help some, if you have a 'stable' picture folder (Exp will regenerate the cache on changes to the folder, among other reasons...it should just add the new ones, but I never found much difference in speed between it regenerating the complete cache and just adding the new ones).

Cuc Tu
09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks. I did not know the preview was still generated when in details view.

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll - thmb preview off
regsvr32 shmedia.dll - thmb preview on

Is there something similar to turn off the pop-up detail when one hovers their mouse pointer over a file name or have it highlighted when using keyboard navigation?

Paul Komski
09-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Reg hack for Explorer "Tool Tips" so the usual disclaimers

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Advanced "ShowInfoTip"

DWord
Value 0 turns off
Value 1 turns on

Works for XP and presumably other versions.

Cuc Tu
09-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Groovy! Thanks