PDA

View Full Version : second hard drive

SPUDI
11-03-2000, 05:42 AM
I have got a gateway 2000 p5-90, with a 700meg hard drive, and a nec cdr260 cd drive both on seperate cables. when i try to install a second harddrive on the same cable as the primary hard drive it will only work if i unplug the cd drive. with it unplugged the two hard drives come up fine, but if i try to boot up with cdrom plugged in then it doesn't even manage to turn the moniter on. so i can either have 1 hard drive and use of cd or both hard drives but not cd. if i look in bios then c, d, e, f are all auto-config. what can be the problem why can't i have all three working?

Paleo Pete
11-03-2000, 06:34 AM
I can't find any info on that drive, but from the model number I suspect it might be a Panasonic Interface, which must be connected to a controller on the sound card. I could easily be wrong, just taking a guess...

I have an old 2X CD ROM that does the same thing, and I've never been able to find out why. Plug it in and I get mothing at all, unplug it and the computer works perfect. Could be a BIOS setting I haven't tried yet, but I've been trying this drive on older computers with Phoenix BIOS and I can't get setup disks, so I have very limited control over BIOS settings.

Check your BIOS and see if you can disable DMA for the CD ROM drive, that might help. Disabling LBA might also be worth a try.

Stay tuned, someone else may have other good ideas...

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

nori
11-06-2000, 03:34 AM
Hi,
Sounds like you might have some type of proprietary problem where it may never work. Have you tried all combinations of which hard drive is master or slave on ide 1 or 2 and in relation to your cd-rom being master or slave. I realize their are rules which should be master on which ide channel but if something changes maybe it will give you a clue as to what might be the problem. I have worked with a few different combinations of different cd-rom and hard drives and this process has helped me. Hope it helps you if you haven't already tried it.

SPUDI
11-06-2000, 07:50 AM
all,
I haven't tried to make the second hard drive as master cause i've not installed windows on it so i might give that a try. if not i'll just have to decide what I need more, space or cd but if i can get the second hard dtrive working with the cdrom but not my previous drive as well then will have to settle for that. Why might it never work? are some componants incompatable? this seems odd to me but then again i'm no Bill Gates.
Cheers everyone, if anyone else has any suggestions i'm open to them.
Spudi