PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate - Power hog?

LouisK4NYK
09-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Rather than shut down windows, I've tried "Hibernate". The screen goes out, the fan quits and the laptop becomes stone cold. My wife, however, says the machine is still there 'wasting electricity' like it would if I had just walked away.
I believe that windows has written the memory out to the hard drive, set itself up to reload everything on restart and then powers off.
I'm degreed EE and have retired from 30+ years in DP but she insists that I'm wrong. Am I?

mjc
09-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Yes...after all this time, don't you know that SHE is always right?

Now, for the real answer...it's somewhere in between. No, it isn't completely off and no, it isn't using as much as if it were fully on, but yes it is using more than none. Probably not much more than if it were off and plugged in (a laptop ALWAYS uses SOME electricity while plugged in...to charge the battery). And laptops use so little electricity, anyway, why worry about it?

Paul Komski
09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I would only add then when a computer hibernates it is as much turned off as when it is shut fully down by the Operating System.

So called "fully shut down" PCs may well be still using electricity (even though small in amount) and be capable of being fully awoken if the BIOS etc support this and the computer has the relevent hardware attached. An optical mouse, for example, may continue to show its light until all power is removed and then there is such stuff as Wake-on-LAN.

In short: Windows may be off but your PC may still be on.

azzey
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
When hibernated, you can completely remove power (adapter/battery) and it will not affect the hibernation state.

Pyromaniac
09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
afaik know, you are right and she is wrong, just don't tell her that! :D

LouisK4NYK
09-15-2011, 08:36 PM
afaik know, you are right and she is wrong, just don't tell her that! :D

Everyone should realize that married guys always get in the last word(s): Yes, dear.

Even when shut down, the battery is being charged... thus using some power. My clue was the absence of heat in hiberation, just like shutting the OS down. My solution is to hibernate the laptop and unplug it.

azzey
09-16-2011, 12:47 PM
^ Everything uses some power when plugged in. Most PCs, monitors, TVs, etc, use a few watts when powered down (I read an article about some TVs that use almost 50 Watts when in standby mode!)

mjc
09-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Like I said...not all that much to get worked up over.

Paul Komski
09-16-2011, 11:03 PM
One of the great wasters of electricity are A/C to D/C chargers, whether for Laptops, Mobiles or whatever. These consume power even if not attached to their paired hardware.