PDA

View Full Version : What "Bit" is my Windows ?

Kaiser
10-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Many programs make an issue of whether our Windows is a 32 bit or a 64 bit.

I have`nt a clue what they are talking about, Windows is Windows to me, but I guess that this "bit" thingy is important or they would not be specifying it as a parameter in many programs.

So, can anybody please tell me what exactly this "bit" thing means to my life and more importantly tell me how I can find out what MY Windows is ?
Where do I find out what my Windows is regarding this "bit" thing ?

I use Windows XP Home 2002 with SP3 and whether it is bit 32 or bit 64 does not enhance my day one jot, it all works fine.

Many thanks

Paul Komski
10-08-2011, 09:30 AM
XP Home was only released in 32 bit versions.

To run any 64 bit Operating System the first requirement is to have an appropriate 64 bit CPU and motherboard to support it.

Without getting technical, one of the main reasons for wanting 64 bit support is to allow more than 4GB of RAM to be accessed in a straightforward manner. The essential reason behind this is that 32 bits (2 to the power of 32) can only count to 4GB of memory composed in 512 byte (the normal) memory sectors whereas 64 bit architecture has (to most intents and purposes in today's PCs) just about no limit.

You can always find out which version of Windows you are running by entering winver into a command prompt and then looking the version number up on the net if it is not already clear.

32 versus 64 bit by Microsoft (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions).

Kaiser
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM
XP Home was only released in 32 bit versions.

To run any 64 bit Operating System the first requirement is to have an appropriate 64 bit CPU and motherboard to support it.

Without getting technical, one of the main reasons for wanting 64 bit support is to allow more than 4GB of RAM to be accessed in a straightforward manner. The essential reason behind this is that 32 bits (2 to the power of 32) can only count to 4GB of memory composed in 512 byte (the normal) memory sectors whereas 64 bit architecture has (to most intents and purposes in today's PCs) just about no limit.

You can always find out which version of Windows you are running by entering winver into a command prompt and then looking the version number up on the net if it is not already clear.

32 versus 64 bit by Microsoft (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions).

Paul, that all sounds fine and thank you.
Took me a long time to "Live and Learn" that one, makes me feel a right dumb-bell asking such an elementary question in my first few posts. But I honestly did not know.

Paul Komski
10-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't think it's an elementary question. All things binary take getting to know and there are many who never get it at all.

ferclint20
10-16-2011, 03:36 AM
I reinstalled my Windows and I was shocked that it was 64 bit. Most of my software's are not working because of this.

hackerballs
10-25-2011, 01:12 AM
right-click my computer/left click properties and read what you have