PDA

View Full Version : Text Compression

Kaiser
10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
In all my 10 years of PC experience I have never before had this problem.

I am posting for others to observe in case they come across it, simply to serve as knowledge.

This problem recently caused a lot of discussion with Moderators and Administrators, yet the answer was simple and found in an unexpected source.

I posted on a Forum, both in written text and in copy/paste using Firefox.

Every time the text was compressed on Preview, including my original. It made a nonsense, all jumbled up with no paragraphs or punctuation.

After suspecting Firefox, Sandboxie and the site, I found that NoScript was blocking something on this particular site which caused the text to compress. Once I fully allowed the site with NoScript, the problem disappeared and it now works perfectly.

Some evidence was found that the older versions of Firefox like mine - 3.6.23 - do not work well with the newer versions of VBulletin using copy/paste, even with NoScript disabled, but the latest Firefox version is OK.

FTT
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I have you only by a couple years. Started with Win95 in '98 or so, moved to '98 in '99 and 'resisted' XP until 2003 or so approximately. I always let others iron out the bugs... :p

The only times I have seen copy/paste go wrong is when someone would do it from an email or from some form of Word document such as NotePad, WordPad, especially Word 97, then paste into a reply or topic box. For some reason, some people compose their entire post in a Word .doc, then paste it into a reply. Perhaps back when dial-up connections were more common and dropout/timeouts/logouts were a problem back then.

Not entirely sure what you mean by compressed however. Got any examples in text or screenshots?

Cuc Tu
10-12-2011, 08:39 PM
<p style="letter-spacing:-2px;">Probably something like this.</p>

Kaiser
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I have you only by a couple years. Started with Win95 in '98 or so, moved to '98 in '99 and 'resisted' XP until 2003 or so approximately. I always let others iron out the bugs... :p

The only times I have seen copy/paste go wrong is when someone would do it from an email or from some form of Word document such as NotePad, WordPad, especially Word 97, then paste into a reply or topic box. For some reason, some people compose their entire post in a Word .doc, then paste it into a reply. Perhaps back when dial-up connections were more common and dropout/timeouts/logouts were a problem back then.

Not entirely sure what you mean by compressed however. Got any examples in text or screenshots?
Thanks FTT for your reply.
The problem is as stated in my OP and the solution also.

I have gone back to the Forum to see if the wrecked thread with over 20 discussion posts was still there so I could get a screen shot of my compressed posts, but the Moderator has deleted it now the problem has been solved.

By "compression", I believe some would call it "compacting", where all spacing and paragraphs are deleted and the text is just one mass of confusing written words etc. It becomes impossible to decipher.
It happened every time whether the text was actually written or was copy/pasted.

My post is simply to make others aware of the rare role that NoScript can play in causing text distortion with certain versions of a browser, VBulletin or other auxiliary programs.